Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,628   Online: 1176

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASPH

Shooter
    35mm RF

ASPH

I am shopiing for a used 35mm and 50 mm Summicron and I have two questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

1. What does ASPH stand for?

2. Are the German made versions measurably better than the Canadian lens, or is it simply snob appeal?

Roger Pellegrini

Shooter
    35mm
    ASPH means aspherical. In order words the lens has at least one surface that is neither flat nor does is it representative of a portion of sphere.

As far s I am personally concerned the Canadian lenses are the full equal of the German lenses for all the lenses that are of a particular design and carry the Leica tradename.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    ASPH means aspherical. In order words the lens has at least one surface that is neither flat nor does is it representative of a portion of sphere.

As far s I am personally concerned the Canadian lenses are the full equal of the German lenses for all the lenses that are of a particular design and carry the Leica tradename.
    Indeed: e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspheric_lens

I only have German made lenses, but I am confident that the Canadian glass is just as good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would imagine the Canadian and German lenses are about the same on average.

The ASPH lenses are nice. At least the ones I've tried. The 50 ASPH is outstanding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Leica aspherical lenses are the latest versions and are in many ways the best they, or anyone else, have ever made. The Canadian and German lenses are fully equal in terms of build quality, performance, etc. The collectors seem to prefer the German ones, the users don't care.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Leica ASPH lenses are sharper than thier previous counterparts as well as having higher contrast and a more uniform center to edge. They are designed to be offer maximum performance wide open. I have 21, 35 'Lux, 75 and 90 ASPH's and use them all the time. My older counterparts are not used.
    Some like the imagery of the older lenses and 'bokeh'.
    The 50mm Summicron has never been made in an ASPH version and is a superb lens. If you can afford the 35mm 'Lux ASPH, go for it as its one of the best lenses ever made. If not purchase a 35mm Summicron, almost as good as its ASPH counterpart.
    Any of these lenses will take great pictures.-Dick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The later lenses (especially including the ASPHs) *tend* to be better, as well as more expensive.

Since the latest are built in Germany, that is the only reason to prefer German-built ones. Canadian ones are just as good as the German ones of the same generation.

All my "M" glass is Canadian, BTW...

Chris
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When Leitz built the Ontario plant,
    it was the finest facility in the world. They also made 'special objectives' for military use.
    The lenses chosen to be produced there (the Mandler Summicrons) were the finest lenses made in their day.

Collectors required that Japanese stuff not be as good as German,
    because Japanese stuff was made by Japanese,
    therefore German HAD to be the best possible,
    and Canadian stuff had to be inferior
    because it wasn't German.

Leitz made the stuff in Canada because it couldn't be made as well in Germany.
    Collectors said Canadian wasn't as good as German.

Collectors therefore had decided they knew more than Leitz.
    This presumption completely freed Collectors from reality.

Too bad Collectors can't make lenses.

AS Leica built new facilities, and phased out the Midland plant,
    and the new designs were built ONLY in the new plants in Germany, the argument is pointless.

But in their day, the Ontario products were the finest of their kind in the world.

Call 'em snobs, call 'em bigots, call 'em fat-headed racists, or just call 'em wrong:
    what 'Collectors' think has never had any connection to what was a good product.
    Collectors' ideology exists only to decide what to collect -- what will give them a little thrill to own and become special by owning it.

Here is a brief outline of Leitz Midland ~ ELCAN.
    http://www.elcan.com/About_ELCAN/ELCAN_History/

Last edited by df cardwell; 11-16-2008 at 03:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This is good to know since most Canadian made lenses are selling for less on eBay than their German made counterparts.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I got a Canadian Summicron at a knock-down price of ebay a few years ago. There weren't that many bids on it, and I wondered why. It wasn't until I got the lens that I saw the 'Made in Canada' markings... But it's a superb lens, so I don't care where it was made, and I saved myself a few quid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin