Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,154   Online: 978

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Back in about 1987/88 I bought a similar M3 from a reputable Leica appointed dealer, the scuffing & minor dings meant nothing and when I added a more serious one & broke the viewfinder glass it went to Leica UK for repair & they insist that all cameras they receive back also have a CLA. However they sent it back with just the glass & ding repaired stating the camera was otherwise in excellent condition, & didn't need a CLA.

A Leica can look quite scruffy but be 100% mechanically sound, that kind of camera is ideal for some-one like you, as it has been & still is after 20 years for me.

Ian
    Just one additional point - it sounds very much as if Ian's Leica was scuffed and with minor dings because it was regularly used (and serviced). This is rather different from a Leica which has lain around for decades and is dirty and corroded - it is almost inconceivable that a camera like this would work satisfactorily without servicing. Even then, you can occasionally be lucky - one of my M2s was bought for just over £200 with just slight signs of use and a seized shutter release. Obviously a CLA was required, now it's fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim

It was an excellent deal.

ANY used camera should be bought like a used car,
    and you always have to assume it needs repair.
    Buying mint is usually a bad idea.

For six bills, from a good seller,
    you could have got a sound chassis, 2 super lenses.
    If it was a turkey, you could have returned it.

Next step, off to DAG and have it returned to A-1. Total cost, a grand, and you've got a great camera at a great price, that you could have shot forever.

This is EXACTLY the kind of leica that SHOOTERS USED to hunt for,
    and today, ought to buy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post

This is EXACTLY the kind of leica that SHOOTERS USED to hunt for,
    and today, ought to buy.
    I bought my M3 body from Tamarkin
    for $500 -- the vulcanite was missing
    in spots and no collector was ever
    going to snap it up, but Tamarkin had
    just overhauled it so it's just the ticket
    for shooting.

Jim, if that Summicron is in decent
    shape, you've got yourself the same
    shooting rig that HCB used for much
    of his career. By happy. :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Mr. Cardwell, this looks like a terrific deal. I'm sure the camera will need a CLA, and while you are at it I'd have the Summicron done too. This is an early M3 and should be a wonderful camera to use. A lot of people don't like the 135mm Hektor, but I have always thought that it is a nice lens, better than its reputation would lead you to think. The M3 and 50mm Summicron are the bedrock of Leica photography-enjoy!

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lawrence View Post
    Well, the wear devalues the item considerably ...
    For a collector. If you're gonna shoot with it you may find it very valuable. The film will tell you. Follow Mr. Cardwell's good advice. The 135 Hektor is common, and highly undervalued given its imaging properties. Try it for portraits.

You know what they say: Don't judge a petzval by its finish.

And if a big smile spreads across your face when you start shooting with it, and again when you see the negatives, don't say you weren't warned.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    A Leica can look quite scruffy but be 100% mechanically sound, that kind of camera is ideal for some-one like you, as it has been & still is after 20 years for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F
    Personally, I think the killer Leica M is the self-timerless button-rewind M2
    Here's my M2. It has somebody's drivers license # scratched on the back of the top. I got it for $400 about five years ago. Money was different then; the camera was dirt cheap.

Works just great the way it is. I'd like to send it in for a CLA but my M5 will get one first, because that one really needs it. I have a piece of salmon leather I plan to recover it with. Better than duct tape, don't you think? Didn't HCB cover his with that ugly black friction tape they used on baseball bats when I was a kid? The vulcanite had started falling off prior to my getting it, and the exfoliating just kept on going. It's down to about 50% now.

Hektor: I bought one on ebay recently for a big $38. So far, it looks great.

I recommend highly: find a beater Leica. There's magic in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M2s.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've seen similar kits go for $1000-1200, give or take. I think at $600 it's a very good deal.
    Neal

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I don t know Jim, after looking at a big ground glass, you might not be happy with that thing hanging around your neck....seems a bit disrespectful of your image. Contact prints are nothing to write home about either.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Bozart says a beater Leica still has it's magic

All M series Leica's are fully supported & serviced by Leitz, and parts are readily available. I'd have bought that system Jim Galli spotted for more than it sold for if I was after another Leica - I'd love more lenses.

M series Leica's are grossly over engineered by today's standards & our throw away society, I have worn camera out in the past but I can't get remotely close with my M3.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm in agreement with DF. It might not be pretty and it MAY need a cla. But for $600 I wouldn't pass it up.
    You could get DAG to replace the top cover if it really bothered you but wouldn't have any effect on operation.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin