Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,220   Online: 863

Shooter
    35mm

Argus Cintagon 50mm f1.9 lens..opinions please

Hi Everybody,
    I am new to this forum but have been collecting and using film cameras for decades.

I am currently getting an Argus C44 back into the photo game and having a ball doing it. It has the Cintagon 50mm f1.9 lens on it. I have quite a few Argus cameras but this is the only f1.9 50mm lens.

I see this lens advertised in period Argus literature but wonder how many were sold. It seems to be a fast lens for an American made rangefinder.

I am seeking anyone with opinions on this lens but especially someone that has used it.

I have a roll of Fuji 100 color print film that I am going to run through it and then I will have an opinion of what this lens can do.

I look forward to contributing as often as possible to this forum. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Washington Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My old one now long gone had a coated F2.8 lens on it. I wish I could help with your interests but there's not alot of people that have shot these and so I say shoot it and let us know if you get no responses. The bodies are kinda neat but obviously not top of the line stuff. Sometimes you can go to the photo picture sites like Photosig and do a search of pictures by lens or body type and see some pic's, but there was nothing on Photosig; Maybe some others will give you a glimpse at something.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From Marcy Merill's Junk Store Cameras site, "Argus, the Musical":
    Part 1 Part 2, and general Argus C3 type stuff.

The Argus Collectors Group might be a good place for more info on Cintar lenses.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your replies. I will definately share my results with this lens. The Argus c44 has some limits but it just makes me work harder to get the photo I want.

I might just become the definitive current source of information on this interesting lens. I am researching it on the net and finding only bits and pieces of info. Latest info is that this is probably a 6 element lens whereas the f2.8 is a 3 element lens. My example is not in mint shape but it will be interesting to see what develops.

I will keep looking for answers.
    Bob

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin