Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,176   Online: 825

Shooter
    35mm RF

VC 40mm nokton, R3A problems

Hi all,

I just bought a new Bessa R3A with a 40mm nokton to go with it. It's scaringly fun to shoot with – almost forgot the D300

But I have a question regarding the everpopular subject of RF alignment. Everybody with a Bessa have!! :rolleyes:

The focus patch image line up just beautyfull at all possible distances. But to get perfect focus/alignment at infinity I have to turn the the focus knob on the lens, all the way towards infinity and then approx. 1mm back to achive perfect focus!

Is that how it's supposed to be. One might think that when you have to crank the focus knob all the way towards infinity and then 1mm back to achive perfect infinity focus/alignment, then something is wrong.

But i'm a newbie so I wouldn't know.

Best,

Tyge

Shooter
    Medium Format
    my r3a is the same tyge, as was my bessa T and my Bessa R - but I understand (perhaps erroneously) that as RF focusing is SO accurate, what you are focussing on isn't actually infinity because we cant see as far as infinity (!) ... you are focusing on something that is x metres away from you, but not infinity - if your shooting style allows, it might be better to use the hyperfocal markings when you want focus to go to infinity, that's what I do anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe the same thing applies to 35mm slr's.I was told by a local pro shooter never to set the lens all the way to infinity.Always move it back just a hair to achieve the best focusing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for your quick reply. Now I don't have to ship it back to Robert white, who will ship back to cosina, japan for adjustment!!!

Thanks a lot!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I disagree with these replies.

The Bessa cameras has a narrow base rangefinder. That is, the distance between the two rangefinder windows is somewhat narrow. However, that isn't a problem as long as the optical components in the viewfinder are in correct alignment.

When it comes to a camera, its optics and its rangefinder assembly, there is a single point for infinity. And it should reach this point when the lens is focused to infinity -- not before and not after.

The problem with the Cosina Voigtlander Bessa series is that after nearly 10 years, Cosina still hasn't adequately solved the problem of rangefinder misalignment.

Too many Bessa cameras are either misaligned horizontally or vertically. This has been the weakness of these cameras since their inception and continues to be a problem for them.

It's hard to say if the rangefinder is leaving the factory misaligned or if it is becoming misaligned during shipment. But you read of too many stories from readers whose cameras have this problem.

It's a real shame, because Cosina has otherwise done a fine job with the bodies and the lenses, which are held in very high regard.

Shooter
    35mm RF

need adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I disagree with these replies.

When it comes to a camera, its optics and its rangefinder assembly, there is a single point for infinity.

But there is a single point of focus at infinity, I just have turn the focus knob 1mm back to get there.

Is that worth an adjustment?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Vonsbaek
    The infinity focus is rarely a problem. You should do something else - shoot a ruler or a target, like a series of small bottles, positioned at 45° to the camera lens, from the shortest practical distance - like 1m. If your focus is spot on, it will be perfect at infinity as well, otherwise you would be well advised to send the camera for adjustment while it is still fully under warranty. Do it yourself horizontal adjustment is however doable, the vertical one on the R3A is impossible without taking off the camera top.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Because the camera is new, it should be covered under warranty. And Cosina should perform the work at no charge to you.

Although it probably won't be evident in most photos, it's still unacceptable for a new camera to not be up to spec when it's purchased by the customer.

I would have it serviced.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you sure you're focusing on something that is *really* at infinity (e.g., the moon)?

If your rangefinder truly is misaligned at infinity, then I agree with takef586. Proper alignment at closer distances matters far more than slight misalignment at infinity (unless you are a landscape photographer who will make serious enlargements). But, if your camera is still under warranty, it's probably worth the wait to have the rangefinder adjusted.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by troym View Post
    Are you sure you're focusing on something that is *really* at infinity (e.g., the moon)?

If your rangefinder truly is misaligned at infinity, then I agree with takef586. Proper alignment at closer distances matters far more than slight misalignment at infinity (unless you are a landscape photographer who will make serious enlargements). But, if your camera is still under warranty, it's probably worth the wait to have the rangefinder adjusted.
    Thanks for all your answers!

To Troym,

I can actually obtain perfect alignment at infinity (Yes, I tried the moon it's just that the perfect alignment is reached just a snitch (1mm or so) before I've turned the focus knob all the way to infinity.

Regards

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin