Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,726   Online: 1068

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I will sing a Russian lullaby for mine. Maybe it will soften up if I can get it to remember its childhood days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Contax 11 that was made in the 1930s that the Kiev is a copy of, my dad gave to me as a teenager, and have often thought that the vertical running slatted metal focal plane shutter with a mximum speed of 1250/sec was light years ahead of the Leica of those days, not to mention the longer based rangefinder and the bayonet fitting lenses when the Leica ones were still 39mm screw thread .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 4a as well, and I like the way it handles. However, mine has some frame-spacing issues, which I understand is fairly common and possibly fixable with an adjustment of the screw and/or lubrication of the gears under the take-up spool "fork". I have the J-8 and J-11, and along the way I've also picked up the Soviet clone of the Zeiss "turret" viewfinder, so I can now go for the whole "faux Zeiss" look

(yes, yes, not really a "fake" and all that history business, but "faux Zeiss" just sounds cooler )
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    I do not dare to take the camera apart to clean it. Cleaning will have to wait until I get to spend time in Moscow again. But turning a screw or too might be doable. Will search the internet.
    Send it to Eddy Smolov in Brooklyn. He does good work, specializing in European mechanical cameras, and the prices are very reasonable. I've sent a Pentacon 6 and three FEDs to him over time, and his work is excellent. I'm planning to send him a Kiev 4 in January.

His name and contact info are around here somewhere if you use the search, or you can just try Google. Be forewarned, if you talk to him on the phone his European accent is still pretty thick. But if you spend much time in Moscow you clearly won't be bothered by that.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dear MB,
    Moscow is actually closer for me than Brooklyn, so I would probably rather send the camera to Oleg Khalavin outside Moscow. I bought a FED 3 from him, that seems to be in good order.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

/Erik Petersson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear MB,
    Moscow is actually closer for me than Brooklyn, so I would probably rather send the camera to Oleg Khalavin outside Moscow. I bought a FED 3 from him, that seems to be in good order.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

/Erik Petersson
    Ow! Sorry! Can we say "ethnocentrism" here? (Of course everyone is just like me and must live in the US.)

Please overlook my stupidity this time.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No problem, I will take it as compliment on my English skills!

best regards
    Erik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No problem, I will take it as compliment on my English skills!

best regards
    Erik
    I'm constantly surprised Eric how good the English skills are of our members who don't have it as their first language, I couldn't even make myself understood in another language.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks. We watch television in English (with subtitles) here. It exposes us to English from our first years, and is to my mind a very effective way to spread a second language in a society.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks. We watch television in English (with subtitles) here. It exposes us to English from our first years, and is to my mind a very effective way to spread a second language in a society.
    Satellite television systems and American and British television programming may have done more to spread English as a universal language than any other thing I can think of.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin