Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,072   Online: 942

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

My new Kiev 4 and its shutter

I just bought something lovely - a Kiev 4. The rangefinder is so clear, focusing is so easy, and the Jupiter 8 lens looks so promising.

However, the shutter is a bit stiff and not at all quiet, while I had expected it to be very smooth, at least as smooth as my FED 3. I have to exert quite some pressure on the shutter in order to release it, so it will not be possible to hold the camera steady on long shuttertimes. For me, this is a problem.

Maybe it has just not been exercised in a long time and will get better. But if not, do you think I could fix this myself? Because how could one own such a camera and not use it?

regards
    Erik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fixing those old cloth shutters would be a very tricky.
    Maybe a bit of exercise would help.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The shutter is made of metal and travels vertically, it is not cloth. But it is probably still tricky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shutter release should not be stiff, at least it's the case on my 4a (yes, which I am shamelessly plugging now because I'm selling it!).

Are the shutter speed reasonably accurate? Is the winding/cocking knob hard to advance too?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Accurate as far as I can judge. But I have not run a film through it yet. Winding/cocking works but is cranking, like old cogwheels.

Is your Kiev quiet?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, mine is pretty quiet. The first Kiev I had was an early 4, and the stiff film advance felt like old cogwheels grinding against each other. Eventually, the advance jammed.

It was quite a surprise to feel the much smoother advance on my 4a. Before, I used to have chapped fingers after an afternoon of shooting. With this particular 4a, in contrast, there is no effort needed.

I read that home-repaired Kiev tend to be over-tensioned, and turning the right screws can result in a buttery smooth camera. Note also that bad lubrication can contribute to things being stiffer: a cheap lube will degrade and leave residues.

But now I found a Contax IIa, so the Kiev, as good as it is, must go...

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I do not dare to take the camera apart to clean it. Cleaning will have to wait until I get to spend time in Moscow again. But turning a screw or too might be doable. Will search the internet.

I would consider acquiring your camera had I not just bought this one. 35 mm lens even!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, we could maybe talk business via PM?

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I will PM you

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love my 4A. The shutter is so quiet, all I hear is a metallic "thwip." Add to it the 50mm sonnar clone lens and it's easily one of my favorite cameras.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin