Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,170   Online: 996

Thread: Zorki 4 lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Zorki 4 lenses

Helloall,
    Can all m39 lenses fit onto this specific camera? I ask because some lenses for sale on the Bay say they are m39 but only list Kiev or Zenit as cameras these lenses can be mounted on. Is this correct or are the sellers mistaken?
    thanks
    Arthur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The main thing to be careful of is that there were both Rangefinders and SLRs that used the M39 mount. The Zenit is one such SLR, and as such it's lenses wont work correctly on the Zorki 4, because the lens was designed to be further away from the film in order to accommodate the mirror assembly. They also don't have the necessary components for rangefinder coupling.
    So apart from the M39 SLR lenses, most every other M39 lens should work with the Zorki 4 I'd think.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fleath is correct - confirm the lenses are actually "Leica Thread Mount" or "LTM" as opposed to the incompatible M39 Zenit SLR mount. In theory all LTM lenses *should* mount on all LTM-compatible cameras such as the Zorki 4, however as many have noted some lenses and some cameras have slightly different tolerances, and sometimes adjustment is required (I believe the user "lens_hacker" posts here sometimes, he has some interesting experiences adjusting/modifying lenses FSU lenses to fit on real Leicas and vice versa).

Also, I'm not aware of any Kievs that are LTM - the Kiev 1 - 4 (and possibly 5) are Contax-mount, the Kiev 88/Salyut are custom screw-mount, the Kiev 88CM, 6C and 60 are Pentacon 6 mount.
    Last edited by mabman; 12-19-2008 at 05:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is my understanding that sometimes the Zorki etc lens focus cams do not line up exactly right and they have to be adjusted before they will work properly on a a real Leica.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've had problems with lenses such as the Summarit going onto my Zorki 3M. The tear-shaped RF pickup slides under the RF cam of the lens and does not follow it correctly. German/Japanese LTM lenses with thin cams amd telephoto's with the RF "tongue", such as a Nikkor 13.5cm F3.5, can have problems. Some adjustment, or care in selection, is required.

The Nikkor 5cm F2 in LTM works perfectly with my Zorki 3M, but the Nikkor 5cm F1.4 does not. Canon 35mm F2.8 works perfectly.

The Russian LTM RF lenses all have thick cams, and they all work with the Zorki 3M. I use a J-8 and J-3 with the Zorki. I adjusted the RF of the Zorki 3M to agree with the Leica, using a film-strip and loupe at the film gate. Slight adjustment was necessary for the 5cm F1.5 lens.

Brian

Shooter
    35mm
    A Kiev uses a different mount. Called a Contax mount. Most all slr screwmounts are 42mm like on the old Pentax cameras. Your Zorki should be fine to use any 39mm ltm. Get a good J-8 50/2 & a J-12 35/2.8 Both are great lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks all,
    I have been lucky enough to get a good J-8 and a pristine J-12 with a great looking and working Zorki-4 all for the price of $85.00. After the new year I will send out the camera to get spruced up. All will be well.

Arthur

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin