Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,734   Online: 1109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

MP meter NG under -3 C.

My MP meter doesn't work under -3 degrees C. (26+/- degrees F). The indicator light and the arrows in the viewfinder just disappear. Once I bring it inside and it warms up, it works again. Is this normal?

Roger Pellegrini

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it dies over a period of a few minutes then the most likely cause is the battery is getting old doesn't like cold weather anymore.

Try a fresh battery.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried new batteries?
    JON.
    I prefer it in the dark.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Okay. I'll try a new battery. But the one in there now I just purchased three weeks ago. I guess it could have been on the shelf for too long. The only thing is, the battery icon doesn't come on. There are just no meters lights. And when I bring it back in and it warms up, everything works well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Roger;

A less likely possiblility is a contact that pulls away when it is cold. With older equipment, this can be an uncommon problem. I have used an electrical multimeter in conductivity or "ohms" mode and sprayed some "Freeze-Mist" low temperature cooling spray on parts and pieces to try locating this kind of a thermal intermittent.

Try the new or different battery first. Taking something apart and hunting for an intermittent is never fun. There is a reason why we referred to these kind of jobs as "dogs."
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    by any chance, does this have an LCD display? I have a Luna Pro for cold weather, as LCD's response times slow down and eventually stop working altogether in cold weather.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem is due to the laws of physics battery's at very cold temperatures will not give out any power, it would be a good idea to see if Leica make a remote battery holder you can keep in your pocket as many camera manufacturers do.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF

Hope its just the battery

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning, Roger;

A less likely possiblility is a contact that pulls away when it is cold. With older equipment, this can be an uncommon problem. I have used an electrical multimeter in conductivity or "ohms" mode and sprayed some "Freeze-Mist" low temperature cooling spray on parts and pieces to try locating this kind of a thermal intermittent.

Try the new or different battery first. Taking something apart and hunting for an intermittent is never fun. There is a reason why we referred to these kind of jobs as "dogs."
    Thanks. I will try the new battery first and hope that is the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -3 C is not that cold. I don't have any cameras that work at 20 C but won't work at -3 C. They will even work at -30 C (although not for long).

LCD displays work down to very cold temperatures, although the update speed slows down significantly. Still, at -3 C such a display should work normally enough that it would be useful.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    -3 C is not that cold. I don't have any cameras that work at 20 C but won't work at -3 C. They will even work at -30 C (although not for long).

LCD displays work down to very cold temperatures, although the update speed slows down significantly. Still, at -3 C such a display should work normally enough that it would be useful.
    That's what I was thinking. I am hoping it is just the battery (although I just put a new one in 3 weeks ago) and not something more serious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin