Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,187   Online: 1027

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, BSpeed;

You are right: The 35 mm range finder cameras of the 1960's and 1970's are a joy to use. My first one was a standard Yashica Lynx that was replaced by my first Minolta SR-1b. Recently I have found a Yashica Lynx 1.4. This is the camera that I wanted, but could not really afford as a young man. Now I have it. In comparison with my Minoltas, it does have one outstanding virtue; it is quiet. The soft "snick" of the in-the-lens leaf shutter is much nicer than the "clank-vzzzssst-flock" of the SLR mirror and shutter motion. Is the Lynx 1.4 large and heavy? Yes, but I like it. Yes, it also cost more than the price of the camera for the CLA, but it will go another 30 years or so now.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    I have a number of the RF wonders and I love them. I thought I'd like a Leica based on the experience and I really didn't so I sold it. The view finders dedicated to one leaf shuttered lens is simply bliss.
    I've owned 2 RFs in my time. A Mamiya 7 which I loved but was a pain when it came to using in a tripod due to the position of the latch for the film door. I traded it for a Leica M6. I'd aways wanted one of these but, again, I found the film loading process a complete bind. It also felt too small and I had trouble getting it comfortable in my hands.

I now own a Bronica SQ-B with 40mm, 80mm and 150mm lenses but I'm seriously thinking about getting a Canonet, Olympus Trip or similar as a 'carry it everywhere' camera.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    35mm
    $30 for a Lynx 1000 is most certainly a worthwhile investment. If you've not used this particular camera then you're in for a treat. I think this is one of Yashica's greatest cameras, one of the best classic RFs you can find. In fact I much prefer the Lynx 1000 over the Electro 35 GSN, if for no other reason than the full range of manual control you have, and the 6-element f/1.8 Yashinon is simply superb. I've had three of them, two of which I sold due to a non-working meter on one and a broken rangefinder on the other. The third one is near-mint and gets a lot of use. It really is a superb camera that's well worth the money you spent. Congrats!

Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sweet from all the replies, I can tell how passionate you all are, I never expected to make this many new RF forum friends!

Well, I have ordered a light seal foam kit - also needed for a mamiya c220 aquired today. so hope to have both the lynx and the tlr working soon.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

That sounds like a decent price to me.

My introduction to RF was on the Minolta 7 and 9 series before getting a 7sII, which is probably my all-time favorite in this class. I shoot Leica, LTM, Minolta M, and Minolta Super A mount RF's as well these days but the small simple cameras are still a joy to shoot with.

Have fun with it!
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I completely love rangefinders. No matter how great a Nikon slr (or whatever brand) might be in terms of quality or even 'feel' you can't get away from being 'aware' of the lens being either in focus or out of focus. With a rangefinder, you'd like all your shots to be bang on, and, if you've time, they can be but it really doesn't matter. What matters is you ALWAYS GET THE SHOT!!
    PETE.
    "See it first. Draw it, paint it or photograph it. But see it." Pete Millson (that's me!)
    --
    http://petemillson.wordpress.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin