Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,159   Online: 1078

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Help - can you tell what this is?

Hi, after shooting a bit with an Olympus 35RC I couldn't resist a Konica Auto S3 on ebay. When I got it, the meter was dead and the seals needed replacing. Had that fixed and shot my first colour film. Camera handled well and I liked the results. I went to India over Christmas and took the old Konica with me. I shot b&w 400, took great pleasure in walking around, watching people and snapping a few frames.

But it seems like the Konica has a light leak... a bright band running down the frame, usually to the left, but sometimes in the middle. I shot two films and both were affected.

The light in India was pretty strong but not sunny (cloud cover most of the time) but I felt the photos were a bit washed out, and of course, ruined by the streak of light.

Does this look like bad seals or something more sinister? The olympus and konica tc have been absolutely fine but I really like using the S3 and would like to get it fixed.

The colour photos seem just fine...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It is a light leak.... could it have been the cardridge ???
    If you shot color with the S3 aswell....
    or could it have been a lightleak when developing the B&W yourself ????

A bit puzzled with the camera not in my hands....

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the reply. I shot agfa and hp5 films and the problem appeared on both (but not on all frames). I shot colour a few weeks back. Didn't use it for a few weeks then took it with me to India and shot 2 films. The developing was done by professional outfit here in Edinburgh - I don't have a developing tank yet (but will soon). I guess I could run a cheap film through and have it developed somewhere else, to see if I'm getting the same problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't now what kind of shutter that particular camera has but I have and Nikon F2 that has a small tear in the shutter and I have the same streaks on many of my frames. But not all. I think the ones that are good are the ones where I didn't take the lens cap off until right before the shot or hadn't rewound the frame till ready to shoot. But I could be wrong to, as I often am.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That looks like a light leak in tank when developing.

Shooter
    35mm
    ... if it is from a developing tank, then it must be a problem with the developer I use. I will send the next film to a different place, see what comes out. As for the rift in the shutter, that's an interesting suggestion. I started thinking if the photos that did not have the streak were shot in quick succession, hence not exposed to the rift for as long. But I can't be certain.

Thanks for the replies. I hope it is an issue with developing, because I like that little camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Konica has a leaf-shutter, not a focal-plane one. A light-leak in the shutter (it closes not propperly) would show up as a white dot in the middle of the frame.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check the light seal around the back if they're the least bit sticky or gummy replace them.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

phc
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't see how it could be a light leak if it only affects the B&W films. A couple of things spring to mind:

Did you shoot more than one B&W film (i.e. what are the others like - could it be a fault with the film)?

Did you leave the B&W film in your checked luggage on the flight (could be x-ray damage)?

Cheers, Paul.
    Last edited by phc; 01-19-2009 at 04:23 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos
    paulhardycarter.com <<< Pictures and blog.
    twitter <<< My twitter feed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by phc View Post
    I don't see how it could be a light leak if it only affects the B&W films. A couple of things spring to mind:

Did you shoot more than one B&W film (i.e. what are the others like - could it be a fault with the film)?

Did you leave the B&W film in your checked luggage on the flight (could be x-ray damage)?

Cheers, Paul.
    I shot two films, different brands. Both had issues. I had my films in my carry-on bag. I'm taking another film in for processing tomorrow. I loaded it after I came back from India. If that one has the some issue, then it must be the camera going wrong between shooting the first colour film and the b&w stuff.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I'll update the forum once I get the film back and if I have to work on the seals or fix the camera.

Cheers,
    Vignir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin