Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,013   Online: 672

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kavandje View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions!

I've sort of settled on the 21mm f/4 Voigtländer, though I have to admit that I am mighty tempted by the 15mm f/4.5. Experiences? Anyone got any pictures online they can point me to?
    I have both of these lenses. I much prefer the 21mm f/4. It couples to the camera rangefinder, and it is a sharper lens. The 15mm f4.5 is not rangefinder coupled, and is a spectacular lens IF you need the field of view. There is some vignetting. You estimate focus with this lens. For what I shoot 98% of my slides are with either the 21mm or a 35mm focal length lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    At 28mm there's the Voigtlander 28/3.5 for $250-300 used, a first rate modern wide. The Canon 28/3.5 is a good classic piece and makes decent images stopped down a bit for around $200-$250 used. As pointed out above, the Voigtlander Skopar 25/4 is a modern classic and a true bargain at about $180 used with a finder. A 28mm finder will cost at least $70 used, or one can use the Russian turret finders which are excellent for about $50-60. The Russian Orion-15 28mm/F6 certainly makes nice images if the Flickr examples are any guide - these seem to run around $200 used - it has a following, although I've not owned one (yet!). There are a few others that are pretty rare and expensive, but interesting for sure if you're lucky enough to acquire one without taking out a second mortgage (e.g. Kobalux 28/3.5, Komura 28/3.5, Canon 28/2.8)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have the cv28/3.5 but I REALLY like the scale focus only cv25/4 with its focus detents at 1, 1.5, 3 meters for lookless zone focusing while streetshooting. The focus detents put it over the top for me.

There is a Canon 28/3.5 for sale now over at Rangfinderforum now. I have no connection with the seller.
    robert

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all for the suggestions!

The camera is on the way to Solms as I type this for a thorough going over, including new shutter curtains, rangefinder repair/adjustment, shutter "reawakening" (the slow speeds were very sticky), a thorough CLA of the lens and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm waiting to have the camera back before I make any firm lens decisions -- and I WILL push a few films through the camera before I do anything else -- but I've sort of settled on the 21mm f/4 Voigtländer, though I have to admit that I am mighty tempted by the 15mm f/4.5. Experiences? Anyone got any pictures online they can point me to?
    Both Voigtländer lenses are technically excellent so long as you're sure you want something that wide. When I'm photographing landscape, for example, in the late afternoon with low-angle light, I find it very hard to get out of my own way with a super-wide lens and avoid including my own shadow in the picture. A 24/25 mm lens is easier in this respect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See my Leica Screw Mount Lens page for more ideas..

http://antiquecameras.net/leicascrewlenses.html

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've sort of settled on the 21mm f/4 Voigtländer, though I have to admit that I am mighty tempted by the 15mm f/4.5. Experiences? Anyone got any pictures online they can point me to?
    I have the 21/4, and I find it to be about as wide as it could be without turning into sort of a gimmick. It's a really wonderful lens, but you have to be a little careful with the edges of the frame, to avoid getting stretched faces and similar weirdness.

Basically anything I've shot with a Bessa-L uses this lens: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntenny/tags/bessa/>

There are reviews out there of the 15 and 12 superwides with pictures, but after playing with the 21 I decided I didn't need to go wider. I'm thinking about one of the Voigtlaender 35s next.

-NT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm thinking about one of the Voigtlaender 35s next.
    I have the Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 on my Leica MP, and I'm as happy as can be. I got the coated version, since I can't guarantee I'm never going to shoot colour...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have the Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 on my Leica MP, and I'm as happy as can be. I got the coated version, since I can't guarantee I'm never going to shoot colour...
    All the current Voigtlander lenses are coated. What your choice was either a "single" coated, or "multi" coated on that lens. A almost trivial difference. Both lenses would be excellent for color. Lens coating does not determine whether a lens is fully corrected for color photography, in fact coating has NOTHING to do with lens correction. Millions of brilliant color photos were made before any type of lens coating was invented. Coating only affects contrast and flare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wrong, coating can have a huge effect on colour correction. I have an early 50's coatedTessar that gives quite a distinctive blue colour cast to images, similar uncoated Tessar lenses are neutral, as is a single coated Xenar from the last production run. Modern Multi-coated lenses are well balanced and neutral.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Wrong, coating can have a huge effect on colour correction. I have an early 50's coatedTessar that gives quite a distinctive blue colour cast to images, similar uncoated Tessar lenses are neutral, as is a single coated Xenar from the last production run. Modern Multi-coated lenses are well balanced and neutral.

Ian
    Yes, any coating that has a color cast can affect the color balance of the resultant negative or transparency. However, the lens ability to register all colors of the spectrum at the same plane (the film plane) determines the "correction" of the lens. If a lens does not register the colors in the same plane, you get chromatic aberrations or distortion, color fringing. This is a function of the lens computation and design, and Not a coating function. Lens coating on an undercorrected lens will not improve the correction, it has to be designed into the glass. There were plenty of well-corrected lenses designed and used for color photography long before coating was introduced.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin