Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,085   Online: 973

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Leica IIIc lens suggestions

Hi all!

I have just obtained a 1950 Leica IIIc, with a pair of lenses: a collapsible Summitar 50mm f/2, and a Steinheil München Culminar 85mm f/2.8. The camera needs a bit of work, but is largely in good working order.

All I'm missing is a wide-angle 'street' lens. I'm looking for something sharp, fast, perhaps around 24mm. Preferably Leica or Zeiss, but I'm open to suggestions.

Also: A viewfinder for the 85mm...

Any suggestions?

d

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kavandje View Post
    Hi all!

I have just obtained a 1950 Leica IIIc, with a pair of lenses: a collapsible Summitar 50mm f/2, and a Steinheil München Culminar 85mm f/2.8. The camera needs a bit of work, but is largely in good working order.

All I'm missing is a wide-angle 'street' lens. I'm looking for something sharp, fast, perhaps around 24mm. Preferably Leica or Zeiss, but I'm open to suggestions.

Also: A viewfinder for the 85mm...

Any suggestions?

d
    There is no contemporary 24mm lens for your Leica - the widest contemporary lens was a 28mm f6.3 Hektor. The only other screw-thread lens wider than 35mm was the 28mm f5.6 Summaron, which is a nice lens, a bit younger than your Leica, unfortunately sought after by collectors and so more expensive than it is really worth.

There are new Zeiss lenses in Leica M mount, not screw mount as far as I am aware. A lot of people use the Voigtländer 25mm f4 lens, readily available new or used for not too much. You can also fit Nikon SLR lenses or Pentax M42 lenses via adapters.

If you want a contemporary lens, you might find a Canon 28mm f3.5, but this will not be cheap if in good condition. An 85/90 finder should not be hard, Leitz finders secondhand but a bit expensive, Voigtländer new or secondhand, not too dear, also some older finders from Braun, Kodak etc. Not too hard to find.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Here's some modern glass to consider.

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtsys.htm
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Through a series of adapters, you can put a wide range of Canon, Nikon, and other lenses on that camera. Rangefinders are great for this, because the distance from the lens flange to the film is narrow compared to an SLR. Same reason Canon FL and FD bodies are great for adapting other lenses to (but FL and FD lenses are not good for adapting to other SLR systems).

You will have to zone focus, of course.

I would first look into what adapters you can rig up. Then start looking for 24s. A 24mm 2.8 will be nice and small/light. Canon ones can be had for well under $50. They are probably one of the most common lenses Canon made after the various 50mm 1.8s and 1.4s
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Summitar is a good lens -- not as
    wide as you seek, but a very good lens.
    Remember, when you deviate from a
    5cm lens you will have to use a separate
    viewfinder, which adds bulk to the rig.
    You might want to shoot a few rolls with
    the Summitar before making a decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BTW, the Summitar is my main LTM lens. It is great, IMO, for black and white or color. My only other Leitz lens is the Summar f/2.0. I use this one because it has a great look. It is not as sharp as the Summitar, but it has very unique "shakiness" to the out of focus areas that is just beautiful for some things. I hear that the Summicron is even sharper than the Summitar, but the Summitar has never left anything to be desired. I just wish that I could mount it on an SLR!!!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Two lens to consider are the CV 21mm f/4 or the 25mm f/4. Both are outstanding lens and can be found at cameraquest.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    very unique "shakiness" to the out of focus areas that is just beautiful for some things.
    Never heard Summar OOF ares described that way before...very fitting.

Jo

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Voigtlander lenses are outstanding and I highly recommend them. They are every bit as sharp or sharper than vintage LTM mount lenses, and they are multi-coated so much more resistant to flare.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all for the suggestions!

The camera is on the way to Solms as I type this for a thorough going over, including new shutter curtains, rangefinder repair/adjustment, shutter "reawakening" (the slow speeds were very sticky), a thorough CLA of the lens and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm waiting to have the camera back before I make any firm lens decisions -- and I WILL push a few films through the camera before I do anything else -- but I've sort of settled on the 21mm f/4 Voigtländer, though I have to admit that I am mighty tempted by the 15mm f/4.5. Experiences? Anyone got any pictures online they can point me to?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin