Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,219   Online: 856

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Needing a better rangefinder.

I need a different LTM body, or M style body with adapter, that has a better rangefinder and possibility of easily available diopters then my M3. What are my choices?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What kind of improvement are you looking for in the rangefinder? What range of focal lengths do you use? Knowing those things might improve the usefulness of responses.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm shooting a 50mm with the possibility of (big maybe) getting a 28mm at some time, and the patch is too small and I need a diopter.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will the +1.5 magnifier for the newer cameras work on the M3? That would satisfy the rfdr patch, then would you want the viewfinder?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to look at the Cosina Voigtlander models as well as the Zeiss Ikon models.

http://cameraquest.com/voigtchart2.htm
    http://www.zeiss.com/zeissikon

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

leica diopters are $100 and widely available...or are they? anyhow, they probably cost less than getting a whole new camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raizans View Post
    leica diopters are $100 and widely available...or are they? anyhow, they probably cost less than getting a whole new camera.
    It's not just the diopter issue. It's the fact that I want a rangefinder mechanism that has a larger superimposed image.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dunno if you're gonna get it all.
    The rf base(Voigtlander) length is shorter than the M3 so in theory less accurate. I don't know about the rf patch size. Since the diopter is a magnifier for the finder it's also going to enlarge the patch proportionally.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wayne,

I think the Cosina Voigtlander R3M might be of interest to you: R3M Finder 1:1 life size, 40/50/75/90 framelines

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't recall having seen any RF patch size comparisons or measurements anywhere. You're also unlikely to find someone with broad enough familiarity on that subject who has made a careful comparison among all the options you might want to consider. There is an RF baseline comparison at http://www.cameraquest.com/leica.htm with some comments, but not about RF patch size. He also doesn't include ZI info. I think that may be because he had the brand initially, but it was pulled from him early on to service bigger dealers with more influence.

It's been years since I used an M3, so I don't have any worthwhile basis for comparison of RF patch size comparisons.

I have the R3A (same basic finder as R3M) and like it a lot, but it won't do the 28mm you're considering without an accessory finder. You can use a Nikon DG-2 2x finder magnifier on the R3A, and Nikon diopter lenses for the FM and FE cameras fit the R3A. The Nikon DG-2 doesn't even see the 90mm frames though. It only sees what would be the larger central circle on the Nikon SLR finders, but it flips up for full finder viewing. That exposes a bare metal rim, so watch that if you're a glasses wearer.

There is also a smaller 1.3x magnifier from Japan Exposures (formerly megaperls) that fits the C/V R3A/M http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/p...c9b56d0e18eff2 You have to order it for your Nikon SLR because it violates a US Leica patent for rangefinder magnifier use. I don't know how much of the R3A finder it shows.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 01-22-2009 at 02:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin