Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,611   Online: 971

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Are Mamiya 6 and 7 lenses the same?

Hi all

I have a Mamiya 7 and have the option of buying a Mamiya 6 with a 50mm lens. Does anyone know if I can use the lens in a 7 model as well? For some reason I think I could, but am not sure.

Thanks.

Geoff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can´t use Mamiya 7 lenses on the Mamiya 6 and vice versa.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks!

You just saved me a bundle.

Geoff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Geoff, you're looking at this the wrong way. You surely need to own both systems!
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That kind of thinking could get you in a deep and dark financial hole.

Sandy King

QUOTE=MikeSeb;742280]Geoff, you're looking at this the wrong way. You surely need to own both systems![/QUOTE]

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    Geoff, you're looking at this the wrong way. You surely need to own both systems!
    I've been told that the film advance mechanism on the Mamiya 6 frequently fails and Mamiya America no longer stocks parts for the transport/winder gizmo. I think S.K. Grimes developed their own repair kit but it's not inexpensive.

Now I don't know for a fact if the above statements are true but it's something told to me by a knowledgeable Mamiya connoisseur.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many thanks for your advice. The reason for my interest in this item was that the body is in fairly bad shape and is 'almost' thrown in; my prime interest was the lens. I have a 150mm, 80mm, and 65mm for the M7, but find that the 65mm is not quite wide enough. I thought that if the lenses were interchangeable it would provide me with the wide angle for the M7 (and a nice spare backup body). Since they are not, I won't buy.

Micheal: I know your comment was not meant is all seriousness, and it would be nice to have another quality camera lens setup, but as Sandy points out, it would be seriously expensive (M6/7 lenses the price they are). I have also come to the conclusion after 20 years that it is better to use 1 or 2 systems well, than to use a dozen badly. I have an M7 and a 4x5 and that is all I want since both are great boxes with even better lenses and cater to all my needs. (OK, I have a Pentax 67/80mm macro for 120 closeup, but I haven't even seen it in years.)

Don: I have also heard the same. Thanks for the comment.

Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated.

Geoff.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I considered both systems (M6 and M7) but decided to go with the M7 because of the age of the M6 (with attendant issues), while the M7 is still in production.

On the other hand the M6 is smaller and more compact than the M7, which has a lot of appeal, and the lens are of similar quality.

It is a shame that Mamiya chose to go with a different lens mount on the M7 as interchangeability between the two cameras would have given a much greater range of flexibility.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by gwatson View Post
    Many thanks for your advice. The reason for my interest in this item was that the body is in fairly bad shape and is 'almost' thrown in; my prime interest was the lens. I have a 150mm, 80mm, and 65mm for the M7, but find that the 65mm is not quite wide enough. I thought that if the lenses were interchangeable it would provide me with the wide angle for the M7 (and a nice spare backup body). Since they are not, I won't buy.

Micheal: I know your comment was not meant is all seriousness, and it would be nice to have another quality camera lens setup, but as Sandy points out, it would be seriously expensive (M6/7 lenses the price they are). I have also come to the conclusion after 20 years that it is better to use 1 or 2 systems well, than to use a dozen badly. I have an M7 and a 4x5 and that is all I want since both are great boxes with even better lenses and cater to all my needs. (OK, I have a Pentax 67/80mm macro for 120 closeup, but I haven't even seen it in years.)

Geoff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there any truth to SK Grimes making their own winder mechanism to fit the M6?? If so, they need to make it more widely known and I bet many M6 owners would gladly fork out the dough rather than let this great system fall by the wayside.... More people asking for it could also bring the cost down as they could set their machines up to do a job lot rather than one at a time.

Anyone know for sure abou this?
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gwatson View Post

Geoff.
    GET THE 43 MM LENS for the Mamiya 7, it's 35 mm Full Frame equivalent is 21.5 mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin