Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,327   Online: 735

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Could somebody say what kind of batteries we're talking about? I can imagine some workarounds.
    Two MS-76,SR-44, 357, or similar, or one CR1/3N (or other equivalents to two stacked MS-76 batteries.

I've been out in -13F with an R3 for 4-5 hours with no shelter ( a sunny day on the frozen lakes in Minneapolis), shooting with the camera outside the bag the whole time with no problems, and that camera has much greater demand than the MP on the same battery setup. Battery failure at -3C seems a bit odd to me.

It's not great fumbling with small batteries in cold weather, but you could get a few and swap them into a warm pocket if you need to. I'd suggest the single piece batteries for that. What type of battery was it? Lithium, silver oxide, alkaline ... ?

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Pellegrini View Post
    I just got off the phone with Leica Techhical Services in NJ. They are telling me that the MP meter does not work at -3 degrees C because the battery gets too cold. Unbelievable!
    Just checking: you did specify -3 celsius when you asked, right? -3 F is a whole lot colder

-3C is nothing. This has to be incorrect.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Pellegrini View Post
    I just got off the phone with Leica Techhical Services in NJ. They are telling me that the MP meter does not work at -3 degrees C because the battery gets too cold. Unbelievable!
    It is true that batteries work less well at low temperatures. I would not say that Leica is blameless here, placing some thermal insulation around the battery would certainly help, rather than simply giving the battery compartment a thin plastic (or, worse, metal) wall - the "P" in "MP" does stand for "Professional", after all. I am sure the problem could be alleviated if not cured by keeping the camera in a case under your coat and in contact with body warmth as much as possible, perhaps one of the gadgets sold as finger-warmers could help if you had this in a camera bag and kept the camera in the same bag as much as possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yep, MP was out all morning yesterday and did fine as usual, maybe -12 or so. 3v lithium

Shooter
    35mm RF
    -12 what? Is Canada all metric?-Dick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sorry, metric. Canada's been metric for awhile. -12F would be a bit colder I think

Shooter
    35mm RF

Yes, Celsius

Just checking: you did specify -3 celsius when you asked, right? -3 F is a whole lot colder

-3C is nothing. This has to be incorrect.
    Yes. Celsius. About 23 degrees F. What struck me as really amazing was the sheer arrogance of the technical services department. They acted like couldn't be bothered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mamiya makes a pocket battery holder with a cord and adapter that run to the bottom of the RZ. The battery is to be kept warm in a pocket close to your body and the cord runs to the battery socket and plugs in. They recommend this for accurate readings in cold weather.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thionyl chloride batteries can operate much lower than -30 dunno if the defense dept. will sell you any though!
    Thionyl Chloride is pretty nasty stuff and decomposes when wet!

Wow. I used to use that in the lab and opening the bottle used to cause fumes to gather over the bottle as it released toxic corrosive fumes.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here are my experiences with thionyl chloride, with which I was doing a few months of chemistry at one point. When I got it, I was told it reacts violently with water, so of course I made myself a controlled explosion in a fume hood to see how reactive it was. Got a very nice mushroom cloud.

Second, I placed a capped container with used thionyl chloride in a vented chem storage closet. Yes, I stored the stuff in all-plastic bottle with parafilm etc. Problem was, the storage closet was metal, and not covered with any protective plastic. Next morning, the cabinet and all metal objects in the cabinet were thoroughly corroded.

So yeah, using SOCl2 batteries in your Leica may not be the best option Just tuck your Leica somewhere nice, warm and soft (between the buttocks perhaps?) and withdraw it right when you're ready to shoot.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin