Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,166   Online: 1145

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Lecia Says MP Meter NG in Cold Weather

I just got off the phone with Leica Techhical Services in NJ. They are telling me that the MP meter does not work at -3 degrees C because the battery gets too cold. Unbelievable!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So don't meter. Sunny 16 and away you go. At least your shutter still works.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I hardly see how this is Leica's fault. It's a well known fact that the output of all batteries, regardless of type, drops at low temperatures. Some batteries are better than others, but it still happens.

I wonder if there is anything like Mamiya's "External Battery Case" for the Leica...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thats interesting,

I am using my M6 with silver oxide batteries way bellow that, we had many days between -20 and -30 in canada in the last weeks, never had a problem with the meter. This being said they might not use the same design for the meter. Maybe you should try different batteries?

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    The more correct phrasing would be that Leica said the batteries are not good in the cold. This is a well known problem.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I suggest that you get your information from someone at Leica that knows what they are talking about.
    Leica M6's, M7's and MP's routinely work well below -3C which is about 26F.-Dick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Could somebody say what kind of batteries we're talking about? I can imagine some workarounds.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kristopher_lawrence View Post
    ......I am using my M6 with silver oxide batteries way bellow that, we had many days between -20 and -30 in canada in the last weeks, never had a problem with the meter......
    I've never had a problem either, with both the M6 and MP. But I generally keep the camera under my coat, and don't let it cold soak. I remember Nikon had an adapter for the F3 for cold weather operations, which placed the battery in a separate case (connected to the camera with a cord), so the battery could be kept warm inside your coat. No battery will continue to work properly when cold soaked to -30.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    I've never had a problem either, with both the M6 and MP. But I generally keep the camera under my coat...
    Ditto. And Chicago has cold, cold winters.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thionyl chloride batteries can operate much lower than -30 dunno if the defense dept. will sell you any though!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin