Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,835   Online: 794

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mamiya 6 Winder Potential Fix

Okay, after seeing several posts on here and other forums about the possibility of SK Grimes fixing the known winder problems on the Mamiya 6 camera system. I decided to get the real low down instead of the fiction and rumors i had heard. However this rumor started I don't know, but I sent an email to SK Grimes to see if they had in fact made a replacement winder for this camera for anyone. The answer was no they did not have a project listed in their database for this particular fix. However, it may have been conducted prior to their database being created, and they could certainly look into it!!

Here is the text I received back from them:-

Good Day Andrew,

Thank you for the link. I've been unable to locate a project associate
    with this type of repair. It may have been conducted before we instituted the new database.

I would be happy to look into designing/fabricating a replacement lever, but would need a camera on hand to start the process.

Adam

S. K. GRIMES -- MACHINE WORK FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS P. O. Box 1724, 32 Mechanic Ave Unit 222 Woonsocket RI, 02895
    401-762-0857

So, it maybe possible to fix this problem, but my M6 is working fine for now. I am trying to gauge how many folks would be interested in helping with this effort? I could certainly send mine in as a reference camera, but we would likely need them to see one with the failed parts as well so they know what to replace. Then comes the cost of doing this. If there are enough people willing to absorb the cost of making this part, I think that route might make this more pallatable by all. Especially if we make a larger run of them and have them fitted.

Anyone interested in this??

Andy
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, Andy - Both of my M6's continue to work just fine; I've had my original M6 for over 10 years and it's seen some periods of fairly heavy use. However, I love them and would certainly look at pre-ordering the apparently unavailable repair parts from S.K. Grimes to have them on hand, if a bulk order would reduce the individual order cost. I see that you've cross-posted on Rangefinderforum.com; if enough people are interested to make it cost-effective that'd be great.

Btw, it's interesting to see various posts elsewhere on the internet (see here http://www.flickr.com/groups/mamiya/...7608265940650/ for example) with claims that x-corp or y-repairer can repair Mamiya 6 "for years to come", although those claims would carry more weight if they weren't coming from someone trying to sell their M6!

Graham

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Andy, yes I would be interested. My M6 is also working fine, but insurance as far as the winder would be a great thing. Interesting about the flickr link saying KEH would be able to repair the M6 winder. You may want to look into that more and get some sort of verification from KEH before going this route with S.K. Grimes.

At any rate, thanks Andy for looking into this for us M6 users!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Mamiya 6 winder in need of a fix

Hi,

My Mamiya 6 has a winder which has failed and I was going to ship it to Mamiya in New York for cla and repair. I haven't spoken with them as yet, however. If a winder fix is available elsewhere I'd be very interested in finding out about it. I can deliver to SK Grimes in Rhode Island personally next week. I think I would still have Mamiya hdqtrs. do the cla unless there is reason to prefer Grimes.

Rudy
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Mamiya 6 winder in need of a fix continued

Should have said in my poat above that I plan to contact SK Grimes on Monday, 2/8, to speak to Adam if he is available. Will report here on the progress with this as I know there are many who are attached to their Mamiya 6's.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Spoke to Adam at SKG this a.m. and while they haven't looked at a Mamiya 6 yet they are willing to do so and will give an estimate regarding winder mechanism replacement. I'll deliver it to SKG before the end of the week and will post results here.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What ever happened re: SK Grimes making these parts? I'm thinking of a Mamiya 6...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now that's a thread resurrection if I ever saw one. (3 years 10 months and 12 days!)
    My 6 hasn't had any problems and I haven't done that much research, but I would have though Mamiya could fix it. They have a very nice HQ in Tokyo and happily worked on my 645 Pro TL a couple years ago even though it was long out of production. Have folks actually confirmed that mamiya will not or cannot do this repair?
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Based on experience earlier this year, I would avoid Mamiya Corp. in NY and instead go to Precision Camera Works in Chicago (there are several PCW throughout the nation, which is why I mention the one in Chicago). Mamiya Corp. wanted over $800 to fix my Mamiya 7, which had a broken winder (I don't know how much the overall damage was). I turned that down and instead sent it off to PCW, which fixed my 7 for a bit less than $400, which included a rangefinder calibration and an upgrade to the 7 II finder. They also had a much faster turnaround time than Mamiya. I got my 7 back in less than two weeks, including shipping time both ways.

I talked with someone at PCW at the time and they indicated that Mamiya Corp. has shifted from repair to complete replacement of parts.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin