Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,942   Posts: 1,585,747   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Leica IIIc: Solms wants my firstborn!

So I sent the IIIc in for a checkup, and they want silly money to fix the shutter and recollimate, and it won't even fix the second viewfinder image's invisibility.

Needs new shutter curtains. Second viewfinder image not visible. Slow shutter speeds slow and/or sticky. Lens lubricant sticky; adjusting the aperture makes the collapsible lens' bayonet disengage.

I don't really want to consign this camera to a parts bin or a display case, so I'm open to suggestions...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kavandje View Post
    So I sent the IIIc in for a checkup, and they want silly money to fix the shutter and recollimate, and it won't even fix the second viewfinder image's invisibility.

Needs new shutter curtains. Second viewfinder image not visible. Slow shutter speeds slow and/or sticky. Lens lubricant sticky; adjusting the aperture makes the collapsible lens' bayonet disengage.

I don't really want to consign this camera to a parts bin or a display case, so I'm open to suggestions...
    I have experience of Leica Service only in the UK and only once around 12 years ago - it was ridiculously expensive and very poor. From what I hear, Solms is good but also stupidly expensive.

The going rate for a good independent repairman in the UK (such as Newton Ellis & Co. of Liverpool) to fix your camera is approx. £100 for a shutter service (more if new blinds are really needed, they can be reconditioned, but Leica won't tell you that), £100 to £125 for a rangefinder service with prism resilvering, and around £50 to lubricate the lens and clean easily accessible internal surfaces (no dismantling of lens groups). The problems present on your IIIc are likely to be present on any example which has never been serviced and still has its factory lubricant inside from nearly 60 years ago - it is cheaper to buy a serviced camera than to buy a camera and have it serviced, but you could not sell your camera for very much in an unserviced state.

PS: Please say how much Solms wanted??????

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm assuming you sent it to Leica. They don't want to fix something that was discontinued over 60 years ago. Send it to one of the independent repairers who are known for fixing Leicas, like Sherry Krauter, Don Goldberg (DAG Camera)
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Send it to one of the independent repairers who are known for fixing Leicas, like Sherry Krauter, Don Goldberg (DAG Camera)
    ... except that I'm in Germany right now. Any suggestions re. European independent Leica repair?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Leica Historical Society of America keeps a list. Most are US or Canada, but here is one in Germany

Wetzlarer Feine Mechanik
    Feinwerkmechanikermeister
    Niedergasse 41
    35630 Ehringshausen
    Germany Ottmar Michaely
    +49 6443 833880
    +49 6443 833881 Fax
    Ottmar-Michaely@t-online.de

The Range Finder Forum has a thread with addresses and references which they humbly call “The Definitive Leica Technician List For CLAs and Fixes”

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=65581

I have no personal experience with these people or even a Leica. Just thinking of the day that old Bertha here gets too heavy.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try Maël Bilquey at phototechnique (www.photo-technique.com).

He has a good reputation, I'm very happy with the CLA he did on my Yashica mat 124.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    About 25 years ago I began "collecting" cameras and eventually through trading and selling and what not I ended up with dozens of high-end cameras. Now, I don't just put them on display, I use each and every one of them. Sending out cameras for repair eventually became a nightmare if not impossible. So, I did my homework (which never stops) bought some watchmaker specs and specialized tools and gave it a go. I started off with some easy Yashica TLR meter repairs then "practiced" on a few Zorkis before touching the good ones. I even do new leatherette... You'd be surprised what you can do if you really want to. I suspect in the near future to get 60+ year old cameras fixed it will have to be done free lancers at home.
    ------------------------------------
    -Joe
    RB67, ETR, ETRS, F4, F5, FM3a, A1, AE1,
    Bronica-S, Mamiya-7, Yashica TLR, & many many Range finders
    ------------------------------------

Rik

Shooter
    35mm
    ... except that I'm in Germany right now. Any suggestions re. European independent Leica repair?
    Send it to Will van Manen in the Netherlands, reliable independent and good Leica repair man.
    His website is www.kamera-service.info.

Shooter
    35mm
    Newton Ellis! (See earlier posting).

Shooter
    35mm
    Gerry Smith at Kindermann Camera in Canada; worth it for whatever the postage is to send it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin