Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,484   Online: 880

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    This is some awesome information. Thanks so much guys... I'll post what I'll do soon. I think I like the Bessa option.

So, does the Bessa come with the M mount if I can afford M lenses later or do I have to have my dealer do it?

Thanks again tons.
    Tom
    Here's a quick run-down on Voigtländers:
    http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/products.asp?PT_ID=290
    The Bessa L I mentioned earlier (and the Bessa R) is LTM (Leica thread mount or Leica screw or M39) - it is available ludicrously cheaply secondhand and has a meter in it. All LTM lenses convert to Leica M (bayonet) with a simple and inexpensive adapter.

More here:
    http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Bessa_(35mm)
    Last edited by nemo999; 02-16-2009 at 07:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kavandje View Post
    I'm one of those people with a Leica body and Voigtländer glass. I'm shooting with a Leica MP and a Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4, with which I'm extremely pleased. Good all-rounder. Perhaps not as sharp/swirly-bokeh/10-brazilian-lines-per-mm/whatever as the equivalent Solms glass, but for 1/10 of the price, awesome value.
    I'd love to see photos.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd love to see photos.
    OK, here ya go:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kavandj...lassic35mmf14/

I use it mostly for candids and such, so no apologies for subject matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, here ya go:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kavandj...lassic35mmf14/

I use it mostly for candids and such, so no apologies for subject matter.
    No apologies necessary—I tend to use 35mm for the same subject matter. I sometimes ask myself whether a Summilux or the Canon 35mm/f1.4 ought to be my dream lens—but then my next thought is always whether I would see the difference in normal, hand-held use at reasonable print sizes (it would never occur to me to print 35mm at sizes larger than 8x10).
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I sometimes ask myself whether a Summilux or the Canon 35mm/f1.4 ought to be my dream lens ...
    Well, add the Voigtländer to your catalogue of contemplation -- it really is quite a nice lens....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I shot with the Pancake 35mm for a while. It's a very nice lens. Excellent build quality and great photos. If you're on a budget, I'd pick a new Cosina Voigtlander lens over a 50-year-old Canon thing any day.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    This is some awesome information. Thanks so much guys... I'll post what I'll do soon. I think I like the Bessa option.

So, does the Bessa come with the M mount if I can afford M lenses later or do I have to have my dealer do it?

Thanks again tons.
    Tom
    Voightlander has a variety of bodies out at this time - and some discontinued you can still buy. If you eventually want M glass, make sure you buy a body that has an M mount. You can always use an adapter with LTM lenses, but you cannot use M mount lenses on an LTM body.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A used Leica M6 can be had for just a bit more than a new Bessa RF ($950 vs. $600+). I much prefer the M6 to my Bessa R3M primarily because the RF patch is better, though there is nothing wrong with the Bessa (and it can shoot 1/2000). If I were in your situation, I'd go the M6 with CV, Leica Thread Mount, or Zeiss glass. I have to CV lenses (12mm f5.6 and 35 f1.2) and I'm quite happy with them.
    A good Nikon RF and good Nikon RF glass ain't exactly cheap. At least on the S2, the VF patch pretty much sucks after using a modern RF. I still love my S2 though.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm one of those people with a Leica body and Voigtländer glass. I'm shooting with a Leica MP and a Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4, with which I'm extremely pleased. Good all-rounder. Perhaps not as sharp/swirly-bokeh/10-brazilian-lines-per-mm/whatever as the equivalent Solms glass, but for 1/10 of the price, awesome value.
    Another suggestion if you really want a Leica M body now, is to consider some of their less expensive lenses as your initial purchase. The 90mm, f/4 Leica (forget the nomenclature and mine are half a world away at the moment) can be had for under $100 in excellent condition.

Along with the Voightlander option - which is a Cosina made system that has no connection to the original German company except that they purchased rights to the name - are Rokkor (Minolta lenses). These lenses were madein collaboration with Leica. The 40mm Summicron and it's "twin cousin" Rokkor M are very affordable and very good lenses. The Rokkor (Minolta) 28mm lens without bubbles is not cheap, but still sells for about 1/5 the price of its German cousin.

The great thing about buying Rokkor-M (Minolta) lenses is that they were made in collaboration with Leica, so they're not just Leica mount lenses, but were in part designed by the company in a team effort. How much or how little is up for speculation of course. Someone who has the information may be able to provide more precise information, but if memory serves correctly, the CL lenses were actually made in Japan by Minolta for Leica - and the later CLE era lenses were exact copies of these, with multi-coating on the lenses instead of the single coating on the CL series.

Good investments and great shooters. They'll never be worth what a Leica is worth and many will tell you they don't shoot like one either, but they also don't cost as much - and so work on the M bodies.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you already have a Nikon RF then it is worth noting that, until recently, Cosina Voigtlander were making Nikon and Contax RF fit lenses. Which means you may still be able to find lenses in stock somewhere:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product...1920&PT_ID=458

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin