Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,827   Online: 919

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Fake "Gold Leica" on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.de/LEITZ-mit-Leitz-E...3A1|240%3A1318

The camera clearly is a Zorki that had it's chrome polished off, and fake "Leica" engravings added. The "gold" is brass... I have emailed the seller about it two times, plus reported it to eBay, but nothing happened. Maybe someone that can write german could email the seller and also report it?

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I reported it.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wouldn't get too excited about it - or you'll get yourself in a lather every week! these things keep coming out of the FSU and all sorts of exotic variants appear on EBay with great regularity.
    I've just sold one the same that I bought a couple of years ago, thinking it might be a cheap way into Leica territory. Well, it was - I put one roll of film through it and went and bought a IIIf.
    And now I've sold the fake for 2/3rds of what it cost me. Serves me right.

Shooter
    35mm
    Listing now has the addition:
    Der Verkäufer hat dieses Angebot beendet. (Näheres finden Sie unter Umständen in nachfolgender Artikelbeschreibung.)
    The seller has terminated this listing. (Further details may be given in the article description below)
    [they aren't]

I don't think this type of thing does much harm - no, it isn't a Leica, no, it isn't gold, but anyone who believed it was would deserve to lose their money.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    I reported it.
    Caveat emptor applies.

These leica rip-offs are well known, quite common, and in some respects are considered collector's items in their own right. I'm not sure I appreciate you "reporting it". Some people are legitimately interested in buying these, believe it or not
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Caveat emptor applies.

These leica rip-offs are well known, quite common, and in some respects are considered collector's items in their own right. I'm not sure I appreciate you "reporting it". Some people are legitimately interested in buying these, believe it or not
    I doubt whether anyone would have an issue if it were sold as a "Leica copy". Advertising it as the real thing suggests an intent to deceive.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    I'm not sure I appreciate you "reporting it". Some people are legitimately interested in buying these, believe it or not
    Well, I understand that some people collect these. However this item was advertised as genuine Leitz camera which is simply wrong. I see only two reasons to do so: 1. he didn't know better and in this case he should be happy that someone told him so; 2. he wanted to get more money than it's worth. This is fraud.

If this item would have been described as "Leica copy" or "Fake Leica" everything would have been OK,
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    You guys are all in the right. If someone wants to buy a copy, fake or make-believe, that's their right but adverts must not mislead and if intent to deceive is obvious then it should be reported. Ha!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The item was pulled without a sale, so the guy learned his lesson.
    2 May 2009

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You nosey bastards just ruined my gold-plated one Euro Leica buying experience.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin