Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,321   Online: 1058

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rollei 35- sanity check- broken or not?

I have a very nice (looking) Rollei 35s (Tessar glass) (circa 1966) "made in Germany by Rollei" model and it doesn't seem to want to load. I have followed the directions but the winder seems stuck (or locked? it really feels locked). I know this camera isn't exactly intuitive but I find it hard to believe the camera is broken. Or I want to believe it isn't..

The meter battery is assuredly dead (1.35V button cell) but that shouldn't prevent the camera from working..(or at least winding..right?)

Are there any known tweaks with cameras like this? Such as unscrewing something and resetting a winder, a lever, etc?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rollei_35S_1.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Usually, the loading procedure is this:

1) Extend the lens.

2) Unlock and remove the back.

3) Flip down the pressure plate.

4) Insert new roll of film.

5) Insert film tongue into top slot of takeup spool. There might or might not be a set of arrows.

6) Advance film using either the serrated thumb wheel (not sure if this was on the early Rolleis) or the film advance. You might have to trip the shutter, which is why you have to extend the lens.

I usually let film wrap around the takeup one complete turn. Then I replace the back, lock and you can advance-trip the shutter until the frame counter reaches zero.

Are you sure it's a 35S? That's the Sonnar model and that was only made in Singapore, as was the 35T(essar). The first Rollei 35 had no letter designation, because they all were made with a Tessar.

I ask, because early in the Singapore production, a key part of the film advance used a nylon gear, which was prone to damage when a heavy-handed user reached the end of a roll of film and forced the film advance lever to the end of its travel.

That part was later replaced with a metal gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    The take up spool mechanism is likely full of very dry and hard grease. It will have to be taken apart and cleaned, and re-lubed. The camera is likely to be worth the repair cost.

The battery can be replaced by a zinc/air hearing aid battery type 675, which I buy in an eight pack at WalMart for about 7 bucks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You may be right- the problem is that it literally feels locked- it'll move a little and then it won't budge at all...So no reasons why this would happen other than a mechanical problem? It truly feels like a safety is on or something.

Does the battery have any logic to do with the camera operations other than the meter?

Thanks for the reply.

Shooter
    35mm
    The battery only powers the meter. If you've done everything according to the instructions then I'd bet as mentioned either the gear or the grease.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No, the battery has no effect on the film advance. It just runs the meter.

Can you release the shutter at all?

The likely explanation is a gear jam in the mechanism.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you're right on a jammed gear. Pretty handy with fixing cameras but was unable to figure out how to remove the top casing- removing all the screws there must be some trick to removing the winding level (those two tiny holes) and it looks like I have to remove the shutter button as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can try 2 things: extend the lens and lock and set the little handel to "Rewind" and check if the windspool moves freely.
    Then try to wind the film and release the shutter, see if that works. All can be done without film in the camera.

If the housing states 35S and it has a Tessar lens in it, somebody swaped lenses on this camera and could have messed up the filmtransport.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Foto-o,
    Do not challenge your sanity any longer. I'll give you a dollah for the camera and I'll even swing by to take it off'n yur hands!!! (VBG)
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ansco, that's a good one.

Anyway,

Arch it's not actually a 35s (but looks like it)- it's an original with a tessar lens....Not sure where I came up with the S--maybe a website...Either way. I did what you suggested but no deal....the actual spool winds freely but the shutter won't fire...It truly seems jammed or locked/confused. The camera is 100% original as from the original owner.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin