Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,662   Posts: 1,623,936   Online: 792

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, there is going to be sample to sample variation in the camera metering systems, the comment is really about testing your sample for its actual reading.

Marty

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would run a roll through and ask for a clip test. Then you can have the lab pull/push the roll the necessary amount. Afterwards you can apply that change to the next rolls.

Usually the meters are fairly accurate though some may be off slightly and most all of them don't have a computer in there figuring out what's what. My Nikon L35AF seems to be spot on. I'm waiting for the Kodachrome to come back to test my Trip 35 but it looked good on negative film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have had amazing results with kodachrome 64 and the xa.
    a fantastic combo,the olympus trip works great as well.
    i tend to do small asa adjustments depending on what i am shooting,a little more control than +1 button.
    but even shooting dumb the exposures should be good as long as you have the correct batteries...

Shooter
    35mm
    I have altogether 4 XA's. The first one I got in 1979 but I never shot slide film in an XA.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The meter is good enough.
    But slide film will show the uneven illumination the lens produces rather well. Whether it will be noticeable depends on your subject.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think there was an XAII that had a better lens and allowed manual settings, but its a distant memory.

JY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thuggins View Post
    ... My XA2 is even more contrasty than my XA, and there is an active thread inquiring whether others have observed this. ...
    I would second that.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theblood View Post
    I think there was an XAII that had a better lens and allowed manual settings, but its a distant memory.

JY
    You've got it the wrong way round, it's the XA that has the better lens and manual settings

Marko, I have used XAs with slide film with varying results, some very good, but the meter is certainly good enough if care is taken. I suggest you run a film through it bracketing a stop either side and see how you get on. Velvia is probably going to be a bit too contrasty for best results, try Sensia.

You probably know this anyway but to bracket exposures on an XA, use the ISO dial.

Good luck, and tell us how you get on.
    Last edited by RH Designs; 03-05-2009 at 08:43 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added how to bracket
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My experience with the XA and slide films is that in a situation with a large area of bright sky, the meter may react by underexposing the ground-level subjects. If one is familiar with this, perhaps using the backlight setting (1.5x normal exposure) would take care of it.

On a similar subject, I made hundreds of great motocross photos on Kodachrome 25 with my Minox.

Running a couple of rolls through yours will answer all most of your questions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have not had any problems with my XA in exposing Fuji Provia 100, other than the lens has some color fringing at the edges.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin