Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,415   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vito II troubles: help, please!

Back to the drawing board

Bought a Vito II from a junkshop: very fine aesthetically but a stuck shutter.

Got the shutter working (exposed some film quite satisfactory), but stuck again after a while without use, and would not work as well as before, so had shutter "serviced" by repairman.

Tried out last weekend: shutter actuation very erratic

All the following permutations occurred with the one 24x film:

Sometimes shutter operates OK.

Sometimes shutter-release goes all the way, but shutter itself does not actually "fire". However, double-exposure prevention mechanism kicks in and can't operate shutter w/o "winding" on to the next frame: result -one blank frame.

Sometimes shutter operates, but double-exposure prevention mechanism fails and multiple & double exposures can be made (i.e., can re-cock shutter and "fire" as often as you like, w/o "winding" on).

Sometimes shutter fails to "fire", but can be made to fire on re-cocking: result, a missed shot.

The result is one nervous operator!

OK, any comments/suggestions welcomed.

In any case, it will be going back for more adjustment.
    Last edited by Galah; 03-09-2009 at 08:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bad repairman, bad CLA.

If I CLA one of my own leafshutters I can depend on it for at least 2 years, many times even longer.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for responding, Peter,

Unfortunately, I have what I have. One lives in hope!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a Vito II. It was my first 35mm camera. Great for street photography.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I had a Vito II. It was my first 35mm camera. Great for street photography.

Steve
    I'm hoping mine will also come good again: for a while it was just great!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm sure you know this but just in case - The Vito needs a film in place to cock the shutter by the action of the sprocket holes turning the spindle.

This is why you can get these cheap on ebay. their owners think they are broken.

If something is too stiff in the winding mechanism, perhaps you are tearing the film instead of turning the spindle.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I'm sure you know this but just in case - The Vito needs a film in place to cock the shutter by the action of the sprocket holes turning the spindle.

This is why you can get these cheap on ebay. their owners think they are broken.

If something is too stiff in the winding mechanism, perhaps you are tearing the film instead of turning the spindle.

Steve.
    It is also possible for the shaft with the sprocket on it which winds the shutter to be little too stiff so that the film jumps over the teeth - this gives a normal-feeling wind-on action, but of course the shutter is not wound and thus will not fire.

I had 3 Voigtländers of this type servied recently by my excellent repair service Newton Ellis & Co. of Liverpool - 2 were fine, one worked for about 12 exposures and then the shutter wpuldn't wind/fire any more. There could be something about these cameras that makes them tough to CLA, maybe a hard-to-reach deposit of grease that re-solidifies or something. I wouldn't call the repairman bad because of this, but I certainly send the camera back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Galah,

You do not have your location posted [this would help]. You might want to contact http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/ and get on the waiting list to have it CLA'ed.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all for responding.

Steve (Smith),

Yes, I am aware of what you say, but that does not seem to be the problem. Everything mentioned happens whether film is in the camera or whether you manipulate the little sprocket by hand (with the back open). Something in the linkage isn't quite meshing.

Steve (SG),

I'm in Oz. Fluto Camera Repairs sounds to be very good, but I need someone in Oz. Does anyone know of a suitable repairer in OZ, please?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    Yes, I am aware of what you say, but that does not seem to be the problem. Everything mentioned happens whether film is in the camera or whether you manipulate the little sprocket by hand (with the back open). Something in the linkage isn't quite meshing.
    I thought that would be the case. I noticed with mine that if you were trying to cock the shutter by turning the spindle by hand, it had to be a complete operation. What I mean is that if you turn it in two operations and allow it to rotate backwards, even by a tiny amount, the shutter did not cock properly.

I have a Vito B and a Vitomatic II but I can't remember which one this happened on - it could even have been both.

The first time I tried it by hand I thought there was something wrong with it but I was surprised to find that it worked perfectly with a film in it.

Hope you sort it out,

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin