Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,673   Online: 1198

Shooter
    35mm

Has anybody put a Jupiter-12 on an M3?

Oh yes, one more catch: it's a screw mount Jupiter-12!

I'm on a pretty tight budget, but I'd like to shoot a 35mm on my M3. I bought a Jupiter-12 Screw mount for $70 on eBay, but got scared when I read that they aren't compatible with the Voigtlander Leica clones. I don't want to invest in a screw mount adapter if it won't work. Has anybody tried this combo? I know it's probably sacreligious to put a Russian lens on a real Leica, put I won't have the spare cash to do otherwise until kingdom come.

George

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have heard that the Soviet/Russian/Ukrainian lens quality control was not the greatest, and that sometimes they needed to be adjusted in order to focus properly on the screw-thread Leicas.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Images
    I have a J-12 that I use on an M mount Leica, and it is a very nice lens. You will need a quality adapter, and I can recommend either Leica or the one sold by Voigtlander. I have used two of the Bower brand adapters, and one did not bring up the proper framelines.

My J-12 is a very nice lens, quite sharp, and right at home on the Leica.

Some Russian lenses, in particular, may not position the rangefinder cam properly such that the rangefinder patch superimposes an image at 1 meter and at infinity. Others will do this fine, but still the focus may be off. In either case a good technician can usually fix this. I have had this done with a J-3 and a J-8, both of which needed collimating, as discovered with a wide open shot at 1 meter of focus. Now they work great, and the J-3 in particular is a fantastic lens.

With the J-12 being a wide angle, you are most likely to get good results with all of its depth of field, being a 2.8 lens and wide angle to boot.

For more of a sure thing, you might consider spending more and buying a Voigtlander 35/2.5. It is tiny with good contrast, sharpnesss, and friendly handling. Used in very nice shape I have seen them for around $175.
    Good luck.

Images
    P.S. On a Canon P, the light baffles crowd the rear of the J-12 lens such that the lens might or might not fit, depending on the particular baffles. No such problem with a Leica M.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all. I'm awaiting a (probably Chinese) screwmount adapter now. I may regret going cheap on that. I'll keep you posted.

Shooter
    35mm
    I tried using a chrome Jupiter 12 w/a geniune Leica adapter; and the focus was slightly off on every frame. I agree w/JMCD. Get a little better lens. Besides the Voigtlander lense, - there are some older Leitz, Canon, and Nikkor screw lenses that are truly great. Wait till you find a bargain and use another camera in the meantime.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The J12 are normally ok and comparable with the Leitz f/3.5 35mm. The j12 will do iris images or central hot spots if the sun or a significant light source is in frame or just out of frame.

If you got one use it.

[/edit] they wont fit a Canon P unless you bend the light baffles [edit]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin