Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,855   Posts: 1,582,942   Online: 994

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I had all that stuff, and $500 to spend, I'd get the Canon P totally spiffed up for the trip, and use the remainder for film and processing. It is a very nice and convenient camera to use. That way you use your money to improve what you already have and need to fix some day anyhow, rather than leaving it messed up and piling another camera on top of it.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-26-2009 at 08:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting point. It sort of sickens me that the P lies there unused, but a CLA, and a LTR lens might be expensive. Still, it's a possibility. I could also borrow the VCII I sold to a friend. I've already figured we'll be taking about 75 rolls of 135 film, so that's not in this equation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Malaysia around May June is ve-ry hot and possibly rainy and humid. Rainy season starts around June and from then onwards it rains everyday but not all day. I too have in my possession a FM2n and a Canon P. If I had to choose between these two, I would pick the FM2n as my travel companion. It is easier to work with in foggy conditions and better sealed against rain and dust. I would leave the MF equipment home. It is a holiday after all.

My recommendation based on my experience from travelling in S.E. Asia would be to buy a couple of good quality compact rangefinders; such as Olympus XA or RC or even Olympus Trip or equivalent cameras and load them with some good film (widely available in Malaysia). Don't forget to take with you some type of light table tripod because you'll soon find yourself taking a lot of pictures in the evenings. A small tripod and self timer will be very helpful.

Shooter
    35mm
    We'll be visiting Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Khota Baru, and Kuching. And 4-5 days in Pulau Perhentian Besar. I'll probably follow your advice and take the trusty Nikon gear. I will also be following 2F/2F's advice and sending my P to DAG. DAG's quote for a CLA was very reasonable. And I liked how he said my P should be good for another 20 years before the next CLA! Sanders' idea about getting a Rolleiflex TLR was also appealing, but reason prevails, if you consider using film reasonable in this circumstance! Seven weeks and two days to go.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi nocrop,

I am from Malaysia, Borneo to be exact but currently based in Australia.

Just a suggestion, you might want to consider making a stop in Melaka. It has a really pretty old town with some of its traditional lifestyles still preserved and lots of photographic opportunities.

Lived in Penang for 2 years as well. Good place to visit and lotsa good food. Has a very vibrant old town and Little India. Great for street photography!!!

And also, i'd bring the Nikon =D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've done a lot of travelling with gear - I always take a crazy amount, but I simply accept that I'll be a pack mule and the payback is having what I want when I'm there. There is no worse torture than regretting a shot you could have had...I know from personal experience.

Anyway, if your mind is made up on travelling light, I'd recommend the Nikon FM2. A 50mm 1.2 is incredibly fast and great for some truly outstanding portraits...I'd like to second the recommendation of taking one more lens - either a 28mm or 35mm also. C'mon, unless you're only 60 lb's one little SLR lens is not going to inconvenience you but it will give you so much more flexibility and options in terms of shooting...and regardless of what decision you make, shooting on this amazing trip is one sure thing, right?

Best of luck! I wish you all the best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done a lot of traveling with gear - I always take a crazy amount, but I simply accept that I'll be a pack mule and the payback is having what I want when I'm there. There is no worse torture than regretting a shot you could have had...I know from personal experience.
    I still make that mistake from time to time, get there, find the right time and place and not have the equipment I would like.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Along with the stowed 15Kg backpack my last trip I had a hand luggage size Lowepro Camera bag stocked full of 14.5Kg (30 or so lbs) camera gear. On the last two legs I bought 10 sheets of 20x24 Paper, 50 sheets each of 8x10 and 11x14" film which was around another Kg or two by my estimate.

Take the rollei !
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I wouldn't take anything that might be unreliable (Canon). I wouldn't take anything that's battery dependant.

I like the idea of the Nikon. I probably would pick up a good folder for portability and the option to shoot medium format, although I generally oppose the idea of taking new gear on a trip unless you're sure that it's not going to be problematic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would add a 85 or 105 macro mm lens for the Nikon. I know it if was me, I would be taken my Bronica ETRSi 645 system with extra batteries and lots of film.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin