Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,013   Online: 667

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Damn, Nick! I feel so whiny complaining about hauling a comparative micro-load. And fixbones, I want to go to Melaka, but we're already stretched for time. We're even taking advantage of Malaysia Airlines' promo for foreign travelers: 3 internal flights for $200. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to make it to Borneo.

I will take the FM2n+50/1.2. I will also be bringing a Minolta Autocord that I just bought. Has had a recent CLA. And if my girlfriend's Canon dies, she can use the Nikon. I would love to take two more lenses, possibly the 28/2.8 and the Tamron 90/2.5 SP macro. So un-rangefinderly!

Shooter
    Large Format

Light loads

Perhaps I'm getting old, but my days of hauling 20 lbs of equipment (large format in a backpack) are over. I no longer find it enjoyable to be a "mule" for my photo equipment. On a recent hiking trip to Peru (where we went to 13,000 feet) I used a Bessa R4 with 21mm, 35mm and a 50mm lenses. Generally I take a Mamiya 6 with two lenses if I am hiking or touring at more comfortable altitudes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nocrop View Post
    Damn, Nick! I feel so whiny complaining about hauling a comparative micro-load.

It was heavy and cumbersome especially after the stock purchases - but it was a job so it had to be done, one thing that is an extra consideration is the insurance.

In my neck of the woods cameras over a certain amount need to be listed separately from the main bulk your baggage, it is then made confusing with system cameras where lenses and accessories can be worth more than the camera itself...

I like insurance to make sense from word go and not be an indeterminate bit of paper ready to be argued over after the fact. After about a weeks worth of phone calls to insurance co's I found someone who could reflect back to me my concern and then follow on as to how it could be made to work within the context of their policies... Too many just wanted either to have nothing to do with it or just quickly fudge over the facts and sign me up pronto...

Your Rollei might fall into this category, whereas the cheaper 35mm options may not...
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some of my good photos are from 1979, a trip to Norway with Kodachrome and a Rollei 35B, which cost $110 brand new. The three-element Triotar 40mm f/3.5 lens on it won't quicken the pulse of any Summilux aficionados, but it did the trick, zone focus and built-in selenium meter and all. At the time it seemed as good as a complete Hasselblad system; I couldn't afford anything more and I was happy with it. A link:

http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...html~mainFrame

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with 2F/2F get the Canon P fixed and then your ready to roll.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    I will repair the P when I get back. The problem is that the cost of a CLA plus at least one LTM lens is going to add up. And I will need to figure out exactly which lens(es) would make me happy. That seems to be a long-term project. I will probably be taking the Autocord, and definitely taking the FM2n; GF will take her AE-1. I'm probably going to get her a wide angle lens from KEH, something in the 24mm-35mm range. FD lenses are cheap now!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Contax G1 w/ 35 F2.

you get autofocus, autoexposure if you want, manual if you don't, compact, lightweight, and some of the best optics ever made for 35mm. And a lot less expensive than a CL/CLE. Oh, and don't forget automatic parallax correction in the viewfinder.
    Don't get the G1, the auto focus doesn't work very well. The chrome G2, has all of the features of the G1, plus. It is cheap enough & Tocad took over all repairs. They hired the whole Contax staff, so don't worry about that.

For traveling, get the 35 - 70 mm Zeiss T* Vario- Sonnar zoom lens. You could add a 28 mm Zeiss T* Biotar & a 90 mm Zeiss T* Sonnar, to fill out the line. For flash, A Sunpak, or Metz, on a Stroboframe bracket with a TTL cord.

Just be aware that the metering is simple center weighted, so it's easily fooled by backlight.

If money is an issue sell the 40 mm Leica lens. You won't need it anymore.
    I think, that you'll fall in love with this system.
    Last edited by Vanishing Point Ent.; 04-12-2009 at 04:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The autofocus on the G1 is only really an issue with the 90mm - it doesn't handle it very well for some reason. It isn't as good in low light as the G2 either, but the G2 is a bigger, heavier, and more expensive camera. The 35-70, while it may well be a great lens, is much slower than the 35 f2. The G1 with the 35 f2 fits his budget.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you seen the prices on the G2, they're dirt cheap.
    Admittedly, the zoom lens is a luxury. I don't even own it, I was just trying to lighten his load.
    But in reviewing the thread, it looks like, he's taking his Nikon FM2.
    It's a pity, that he doesn't have the time, to try to find a Tamron 35 - 105 mm f 2.8 ASL, lens.
    As sharp as they come, but you'd hve to find one on eBay, buy it & get it shipped to you in the time allotted.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Get the Canon P fixed and stick a Jupiter 8 on it, and also take a Oly XA for wide shots.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin