Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,490   Online: 1006

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Travel Conundrum: What Should I Take?

What do you think I ought to do? I own the following: a Nikon FM2n with a 50/1.2 Ai-S; a Canon P with a flaky film advance assembly; a Rolleiflex 6006 and 80/2.8; and a lonely M-Rokkor 40/2. My girlfriend and I will be headed to Malaysia in May/June, both the Peninsula and Borneo.

I would love to take the big Rollei, but there's no way I'll haul that around, as we'll be traveling independently, with minimal gear. The obvious choice is the Nikon, but I'd prefer going yet lighter, so I'm wondering if maybe I ought to get a CL/CLE or a Bessa, etc. I used to own an M6 and I shouldn't have sold it (damn it!). But my money is pouring into this trip, so I don't want to spend more than $500 or so on a body. Ideas?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Pick up Nikon N65 (N2002) with a 28-85 or some such. Very mobile little camera should fetch for under $100.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Rolleiflex Automat/MX-EVS for
    under $300, and add $200 for a
    new Maxwell or Beattie screen.
    Rugged, light, compact, exquisite
    optics, 6x6 and under budget.

Shooter
    35mm
    Both good ideas, the first two, though non-RF! I forgot that I also have a Super Ricohflex that I absolutely love, for it is capable of wonderful photos, and many of my favorites were made with the Ricohflex, but its shutter is now unreliable--way sloooow. I was going to take it, and some 120 Ektar and Acros, on this trip. I've always wanted a TLR Rollei. And from my list, you'll see that I don't need but one lens.
    Last edited by nocrop; 03-25-2009 at 11:47 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: blunder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess if I were restricted to your list, I'd take the Nikon.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Contax G1 w/ 35 F2.

you get autofocus, autoexposure if you want, manual if you don't, compact, lightweight, and some of the best optics ever made for 35mm. And a lot less expensive than a CL/CLE. Oh, and don't forget automatic parallax correction in the viewfinder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One camera, one lens, take your FM2n. All mechanical and good solid centerweighted metering.. If it were me, I'd figure out a way to pack a 28/2.8 in a pocket somewhere.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am afraid that my sugestion would be erased from this forum imediately...........

Peter

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    take the nikon and drop the rest.. I lugged my Hasselblad around India, but wouldn't do it again. 35 mm is perfect for travel

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to all of you. It looks like the Nikon or a TLR wins.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin