Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,391   Online: 861

Shooter
    35mm RF

changing speeds with the Leica O

I just bought a Leica O. It's the remake of the original Leica camera. I bought it for use as a prop when giving lectures.... which I do two or three days a week, mostly at college and university programs.

The camera I got is in great shape but I can't figure out how to change the shutter speeds, and I don't want to force anything. I'm either not doing it right or it's jammed on 50.

-rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe pull up on the dial as you try to turn it? (If it has a conventional dial, that is!)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Rob,
    This is a link to a copy of a Leica press release on the camera.
    HTTP://WWW.PHSC.CA/LEICA_NULL_SERIES.HTML

What follows is the shutter portion of that press release on the camera. I hope it helps, but if not I found the whole press release fascinating reading about the history.

"Shutter speed selection and manual film transport The shutter speed is controlled by selecting the slit width of a shutter curtain moving at constant speed. The engravings on the shutter speed button only indicate the slit width in millimetres, just like on the original historic camera. A slit width of 1 millimetre is equivalent to an exposure time of 1/1000 second. The fastest shutter speed of 1/500 second is obtained at the smallest slit width of 2 mm. The 5, 10, 20 and 50 mm slit width steps lead to exposure times of 1/200, 1/100, 1/50 and 1/20 seconds, respectively. The speed cannot be selected when the curtain is tight, but only while it is being tightened at a specially marked position of the rotating setting button.

"As the focal-plane shutter, unlike later Leica models, does not overlap when wound, a leather cap is put on the lens to stop light getting onto the film. “The moment the shutter is released is the climax of a whole chain of operations. The photographer is forced to capture the right moment, because he knows he will not be able to take the next exposure as soon as he likes. Concentrated photography leads to fewer, but very deliberate results“, as Daniel explains initial experience of working with the camera. "

This shouldn’t be hard for you. It sounds very much like large format today.

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks.... I'll give it a try.
    -rob
    Rob Skeoch
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    got it..... I never would have figured that out.
    -rob
    Rob Skeoch
    www.rangefinderstore.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin