Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,878   Online: 1018

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about a nikon f5? Its very durable and also really well sealed so it should be able to withstand the heavy rains, I've used mine in bad conditons and it still works well. A plus is that it has a great af system which will help since you can't see all that well in the rain.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would like to suggest to buy a 'cheap' Pentax K1000 and a hand full of Takumar's. If something happens in the rain Forrest, your dear leicas will be safe. And the Pentax, well he might survive the occasional shower(s) and the harsh climate surprisingly well!
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    35mm RF

Shooting in the Rain

You describe a great chance for rewarding photography. I use a Nikonos for many years in similar conditions. Wonderful to have no need for second thoughts about the rain. A chamois kept the outer lens free of water spots. And the quality of the camera's optics were very fine. Get the longer of the two lenses Nikon makes for the Nikonos, unless you are going to use it underwater later on.

I also used an underwater light meter since the usually dim conditions and changing skies were too much for seat-of-the-pants guesses about exposure.

If you buy used, get new o-rings and seals and when the camera isn't being used, leave everything open, not sealed up with rings compressed. Sets of new seals are available from Nikon.

Remember, Gene Kelly was coming down with the flu when he shot the wet dancing sequence for Singin' In The Rain.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Marko, thanks for your recommendation. The F5 is a bit heavy for lugging where i intend to be. I am an unhealthy 58

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Leicam5, i have been recommended a waterproof olympus p&s ,Which I shall investigate. seems it can do the job.Thanks

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Frank, thanks for stopping by. I have been searching for new or used nikonos from reputable dealers. so far have had no success.

best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Nesbitt View Post
    You describe a great chance for rewarding photography. I use a Nikonos for many years in similar conditions. Wonderful to have no need for second thoughts about the rain. A chamois kept the outer lens free of water spots. And the quality of the camera's optics were very fine. Get the longer of the two lenses Nikon makes for the Nikonos, unless you are going to use it underwater later on.

I also used an underwater light meter since the usually dim conditions and changing skies were too much for seat-of-the-pants guesses about exposure.

If you buy used, get new o-rings and seals and when the camera isn't being used, leave everything open, not sealed up with rings compressed. Sets of new seals are available from Nikon.

Remember, Gene Kelly was coming down with the flu when he shot the wet dancing sequence for Singin' In The Rain.
    As an ex-S.C.U.B.A. diver, I can tell you, that the o-rings are useless from immersion, unless they are lubed, first. Use Silicone, or Teflon lube, from a tube,
    NEVER Spray.
    Since you are relying on Zone Focusing, don't get the 80 mm. The depth of field, is too narrow, to be accurate often. Get the 28 mm lens with the focusing collar around the lens, ( not the Knobs ). It's meant to be used under these conditions & is safe for immersion, but no pressure. This means it can take a dip, but not a serious swim.

If you want something weatherproof, for dips, get a Canon EOS 1V film body & a current EF " L " lens. Not only is the camera weatherproof, but the lens mount is as well as the " L " lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another alternative, bring your Leica's for the dry and the indoors if you want, but pick up a fixed lens RF or 2... or 3... You're not going to have your lens range, but hey - Most cost under €100/$100, have an f/1.7 -> f/2.8 lens, built in light meters, usually about the 40mm mark (Some are 28mm), they're light and fit in your pocket. And hey - If they go belly up, well, it's easier than replacing the Leica.

I'd prefer to have a camera that's more disposable for a trip like yours. I carry a Canonet GIII around most of the time, in to rough areas, out in storms, nights out on the beer, everywhere and anywhere - It fits in my pocket and weighs hardly anything. It's taken everything I've been able to throw at it so far. Probably one of my better impulse buys.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Whatever you take, remember that if you stay any time in airconditioning, when you go outside the lens and viewfinder will fog up immediately as the humidity condenses on the cold glass. I usually stayed in hotels in the tropics and many had a light bulb burning in the bottom of the wardrobe to stop the clothes going musty. The slight warmth from that was enough to prevent the camera fogging when it was taken outside, so I just used to store it overnight with my shoes in the bottom of the wardrobe.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Vanishing point, Fajitas, Leigh..Thanks for all your kind advice.

best regards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin