Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,149   Online: 887

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm Pan

Rain, Humidity and the Leica MP

I am planning a trip to Malaysia during July/Aug. This is a very rainy season
    with high humidity and heat.

That is the primary reason I want to go. Pictures in tropical rain!

I have an MP and M7. M7 is ruled out due to the electronics. Do you folks think
    the MP can take extended periods out in the rain?

If not can you recommend a body that would.

Best regards.

Shooter
    35mm
    Umdah, I hope you aren't planning to "expose" your MP directly to the rain. I don't think any M leica is waterproof. If you are well off enough to afford an MP & M7 why not pick up a decent M2 or 3 to photograph the Rain Gods in action and leave the Major Players home. I've seen a gallon size HD baggie with a hole cut in the bottom big enough to neatly glue a disposable UV filter in, leaving the open end totally free to manipulate all controls & change film. Glass is covered, camera is covered, it might even survive a fall in a puddle. THIS budda is very happy for you. Ziplocks for the film. Bill PS: "Do not seek to copy the men of old, seek what they sought"
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends on what you mean by "out in the rain".

If you really mean "out in the rain", I'd take a Nikonos V. They are relatively compact, solid as hell (heavy and tough; factory rated to 160 ft., but I have talked to people who have routinely taken them down to 300 ft., which is approx. 150 psi), relatively cheap (if you can afford an MP and a M7, a Nikonos V will be easily affordable at under $300 with a lens usually), and they usually come with a 35mm f/2.5 lens. The drawback (aside from the garish color, which can be gaffer taped) is that they are scale focusing only. If you can take the kinds of pix you need to take using scale focusing, and really need to shoot "out in the rain", I would get one (and a lens hood).

If you don't really mean "out in the rain", I would say that your MP and your M7 (and any other camera) will be fine if you take sensible precautions. Just remember that these later models are made primarily for use as jewelry, and may not be as resilient as some older cameras. On the plus side, this means it really doesn't matter what happens to the camera mechanically or electronically. You can just dry it off when you get back to your luxury suite and it will look just as impressive. You may even decide to let it air dry so it gathers some spots and makes you look tough.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-08-2009 at 08:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The MP is no good in humidity exceeding that of Solms. I think you'd better send it to me for safekeeping. I will send you a lovely XA that will do better for your purposes.

...j/k....

I recall that in Bali the humidity was outrageously high- couldn't tell whether it was or wasn't raining. You really might consider a bag or wrap or something. Seriously, a cheap XA or such may be a good second body to have on hand for high risk shots.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Hi Bill, 2F/2F,keith,

Thanks a bunch for coming back so soon with advice. I mean in the rain, along with the people running for shelter. drenching wet. I doubt with that rain in my eyes i can focus properly so zone/scale focus is what I had in mind.

Winds, pouring rain, umbrellas being swept away. cats/dogs looking alien!

The whole trip revolves around that theme. I am intending to stay in a village
    that has no 'suites'. Else it would be no fun..eh!

Nikonas, hmm..if that is recommended by you experts, it shall go on my list.
    To be honest, upto US$ 500/= I am prepared to write off a camera if I can photog the monsoons.

p.s. the malaria shots, and such like is what i need to plan carefully, and the boots and leeches!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hate to tell you, but besides the Nikonos there are some D's that withstand the tropical downpoor !
    I've been living in Brazil for the past 2 years, I have seen (and felt) those rains where streets turn into rivers !

Leave your Leica's at home and get something that has been designed for a couple of feet under.........

Peter

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Peter, you have got it right on. exactly what i want to be in with my cam

thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikonos, Nikon F2, Houghton Ensign Tropical
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Nicholas, thanks. however shall skip Christies for the Houghton Tropical. 1800s
    company is a bit dated for me

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Nikonos, Nikon F2, Houghton Ensign Tropical

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Just remember that these later models are made primarily for use as jewelry, and may not be as resilient as some older cameras. On the plus side, this means it really doesn't matter what happens to the camera mechanically or electronically. You can just dry it off when you get back to your luxury suite and it will look just as impressive. You may even decide to let it air dry so it gathers some spots and makes you look tough.
    I'm confused about the first statement. What is it about some older models that make them more resilient than the later models? What design or construction differences are you referring to?

The second statement confuses me even more. If there are these differences, why doesn't it matter???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin