Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,441   Online: 968

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

Yes, that's the one. You're right about the biggest drawback to the lens is no "clicks" on the aperture setting. I've found I get used to it after only a few shots. I shoot it most often on the M5 or CLE, which of course have very good (albeit very different) light meters.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    I have the elmarit-m /2.8 and the newer cron asph. The cron is much heavier
    but excellent if you need the f2.

if you can live with f2.8, you cannot go wrong with the latest em f2.8
    used ones can be had for about $700. excellent performer.

Good luck.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi there,
    Like other members said previously, the 90 Elmarit 1:2,8 is very attractive. I use one I bought off ebay a while ago. It's a model dating from the 1970s (Canada - red and white cardboard box) and it works fine though the front lens has lost some of its coating, but that's purely cosmetics.
    The only con to me are the telemeter lines in the viewfinder placed at the center of the frame when a 90mm is attached to the camera. They limit the useful part of the finder to a very small area with plenty of the image you see through the finder thus irrelevant. That's all. Otherwise its a good lens although I use it much much less than my 35mm Summicron 1:2 asph.

I owned and used a tele-elmarit (f 2.8) for years. it was short and light and a very good performer. Probably the best carry around 90mm lens that Leica ever made. I understand that the elmarit (f 2.8), though slightly longer is a slightly better lens. These both should to be stopped down to about f 5.6 for optimum results, but are plenty sharp at f 2.8.

I don't own, but have borrowed, the 90mm ASPH Summicron (f 2) lens from my dealer on several occasions. This lens is in a class by itself. If you ever wondered if it's possible for a lens to be too sharp, this is the lens to use to find the answer. It is the sharpest lens I have ever used at f 2, and it keeps getting better 'till about f 4, at which point, it can't get any better. It is considerably larger than the others.

Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 85mm Nikkor LTM, a Sonnar
    design, is an awfully sweet lens.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I had the Canadian 90 Summicron and it was a good lens though not really better than my Nikkors. The only Leitz lens I ever had that really knocked my socks off and looked like a larger format was the 50mm dual range summicron. I have never owned anything that could touch that lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    In terms of quality in descending order:
    3480000- Current Elmarit-M
    1645300-2730000 First Version Elmarit-M
    2585001-3500000 Second Version Tele-Elmarit-M
    2000000-2545000 First Version Tele-Elmarit-M

The Elmarits are larger and more expensive. The Tele-Elmarits are smaller and softer. These are all good lenses. The Summicron is heavier. For me portraits should be around f4 or f5.6 and their performance is about equal in that range. These are all good lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ken Rockwell recently wrote an informative article about the Tele-Elmarit-M. Towards the bottom of this article is a comparison table that maybe useful to you.

Rockwell is not always so consistent in what he writes about gear, but his Leica talk makes perfect sense to me.

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I must second Tom Duffy's above post above regarding the apochromatic/aspherical 90mm Summicon. I have two of them--one for my M6 TTL and another for my R8. Both perform identically, producing jaw-dropping realism and sharpness! My humble opinion is that this is the most outstanding 90mm lens Leica has ever created!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I had the Canadian 90 Summicron and it was a good lens though not really better than my Nikkors. The only Leitz lens I ever had that really knocked my socks off and looked like a larger format was the 50mm dual range summicron. I have never owned anything that could touch that lens.
    Hello,

I will second the comment about the Summicron DR being the best lens I've owned.

Not sure why it doesn't get the credit other Leicas do (at least when it comes to price on the used market). I believe mine is Canadian (50/2 DR w/ goggles) - perhaps that's the reason rabid fans don't love it. It does give off the most incredible look -both in color and b/w - however. I don't own a "lot" of Leica lenses, but this one shoots better looking pictures than any I've used and most I've seen on forums.

Highly recommended.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin