Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,984   Online: 923

Shooter
    35mm

Canon IV-S Focussing problem

Hi All,
    I've inherited a Canon lV-S 1952 rangefinder,
    1st problem ,the lens has alot of fungus,covers half of the glass.
    Can anything be done?

2nd problem, The image in the viewfinder doesn't come together in focus,how do I establish if it's the lens or the camera body.There must have been a previous problem as I have an original 1958 letter from SCOPUS PHOTOGRAPHIC 4th Ave New York advising owner to send the camera & lens to there storefor assesssment.

I also have the original warranty card dated Apr 30th 1953 and the original manual.

I'd appreciate any help ,

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem with the rangefinder is likely a problem inside the camera. A little wheeled lever in the camera rides the back edge of the lens. This lever connects to the rangefinder. When you turn the lens, the rear edge goes in and out, thus moving the rangefinder internals via the linkage, and then the split image in the viewfinder. If the rangefinder patch in the viewfinder is not moving at all, then something is disconnected or missing from the RF linkage. It could even be that the lever that I mentioned is not there or is bent so that the rear edge of the lens does not touch it at the right spot (or at all).

The lens might be worth shooting as is, and you can get another if you want sharp pix. Any LTM lens will go on that camera. Fungus sometimes does permanent damage to lens coatings, so even if it is removed, there is no guarantee it will make for sharp pix in the end.

It is worth having it looked at, at any rate.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-18-2009 at 05:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi 2F/2F,
    The split image moves as you rotate the lens ,it lines up vertically ,but not horizontally,it's about one tenth the split image off sync on that plane.
    I took the lens off and gently pushed that lever with the wheel and it adjusted the split screen images with the same angle of error,should I presume then that it's the camera body thats at fault?
    I have only just put a roll of film in this evening so I wont know until Tues how the actual focus is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds perfectly fixable. The RF just sounds like it needs to be calibrated.

The cameras are not that valuable from a monetary POV, but are great photographic tools. There are few tools in photography that offer such quality while being so convenient to carry day-in-day-out as the LTM system. I would spend the money to get it taken care of, if it looks like everything else is functioning well; especially since you have $0.00 invested in it so far. Dan Goldberg (WI) and Sherri Krauter (NY) are two well-reputed repair people for LTM stuff in the U.S. There has to be someone good in Europe as well. (I just noticed that you are in Ireland.)
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-18-2009 at 05:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks,
    Thats good to know,I know of a guy in Ireland that does Nikon camera & lens repair,I'll check out England,I saw the same lens on Ebay for $150 it's a Serenar f1.8 Leica fit,I love the feel of it.
    I shoot with some old folders an Agfa Isolettes an Adox and a No1 Kodak Autographic 1931 (in MINTcondition)and a Voigtlander Bessa.
    Thanks for your prompt help,I'll check out the fix & hopefully get it going again.
    Regards
    Eugene

Shooter
    35mm
    I was checking the net & found on rangefinder forums how to collimate the rangefinder.
    Here's how it goes,set the camera to infinity focus on a mountain etc or a FAR away object ,on the Canon IVsb remove a screw on the square viewfinder window,that covers a hiden recessed screw for which you need a small jewellers screwdriver,to adjust the vertical range,then if you need to adj the horiz range ,unscrew the circular cover on the other finder & you will see a "split ring" turn this graduallywith preferrably a hard PLASTIC type scredriver type object, while checking as this is an actual prism & affects the focus
    FYI Small turns then check

Rgds

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin