Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,818   Online: 967

Shooter
    Multi Format

Suggestions for an alternative to Hi-Matic7s

It's late and quiet at work, and the gear aquisition gremlins are stirring...

At the moment I have a mint (9.5/10) black Minolta Hi-Matic 7s that I'm not using as much as I'd like to for the following reasons:

a) It's in too good condition to carry around every day.
    b) It's too big (for a fixed lens rangie) to carry around every day.

What I'd like to do is get another, smaller camera to use when I don't want to carry a bag of gear. I'm only considering fixed lens 35mm cameras, around the 40mm/f1.7 spec with a similar manual flexibility the 7s has. Also, I want something I'm not going to cry over if it dies or dissapears.

What do people suggest?
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

You might consider the "upgrade" to the 7s, the legendary 7sII.

It is easily Minolta's best non-interchangeable lens RF. It is the camera that got me into RF in the first place. About half the size - roughly the same as a Minolta CLE or Hi Matic 5 if you've ever used one of those - and much more manageable from a user's perspective.

The glass is what's legendary though. The "legend" is that it has Leica glass in it. That's not true (I don't think), but the point is it's got that wonderfully creamy bokeh that some people will pay as much for as others do for a used car to get that look in a Leica camera - and you can have it in the 7sII for under $150 in like new condition.

The same camera was marketed under a few names - I think as a Vivitar and a KMART (Krieg?) brand. Same camera with same results.

So what are you waiting for? Get one!

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon L35AF Excellent lenses, very low price arond $20. Smaller rangefinders with high quality lenses are going up in prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So far I haven't seen a 7sII for sale, and only one Canonet QL17 G-III, which is way too pricy at nz$175...
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zk-cessnaguy View Post
    It's late and quiet at work, and the gear aquisition gremlins are stirring...

What I'd like to do is get another, smaller camera to use when I don't want to carry a bag of gear. I'm only considering fixed lens 35mm cameras, around the 40mm/f1.7 spec with a similar manual flexibility the 7s has. Also, I want something I'm not going to cry over if it dies or dissapears.

What do people suggest?
    How about an Olympus Trip 35?

Zone focusing (easier even than rangefinder: especially as many rangefinder viewfinders are full of crap)

No batteries whatever (no worries as to whether your replacement battery is available or compatible or not)

Absolutely first class metering.

Ditto lens (IQ)

Give away prices!

Should be plenty around (10 million customers can't be wrong!)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by zk-cessnaguy View Post
    So far I haven't seen a 7sII for sale, and only one Canonet QL17 G-III, which is way too pricy at nz$175...
    There's one (7sII) on ebay at the moment for half that...
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    How about an Olympus Trip 35?

Zone focusing (easier even than rangefinder: especially as many rangefinder viewfinders are full of crap)

No batteries whatever (no worries as to whether your replacement battery is available or compatible or not)

Absolutely first class metering.

Ditto lens (IQ)

Give away prices!

Should be plenty around (10 million customers can't be wrong!)
    If you want to go that route, other considerations would be the Minolta Hi Matic E and Hi Matic G. Not in the same league as the 7s or 7sII, but good picture takers.
    Jeff M

Shooter
    35mm
    Olympus 35SP or 35RC depending on size / features you want.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can live with the same size you should definitely consider the Konica Auto S2. I much prefer this camera over most of my RFs. Its lens is legendary and they usually go for pretty low prices, surprisingly. This camera should be in every RF collection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin