Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,034   Online: 744

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Anyone know about King's Regula Cita III?

Hi, new here, fairly new to rangefinders.
    I read that this camera has a real high quality lens and shouldn't be too expensive (10-15 year old book said $35-50). With these characteristics I'd expect it to be a bit more talked about but I can't find much about it online or any listings for sale on eBay/CL. Just wondering if anyone knows if it's indeed high quality and why, if as rare as it seems, it's listed as so cheap. It looks amazing. If that price is outdated, what would you think it's worth now?

EDIT: I just realized that it uses 127 film. This probably makes it a bit of a pain to use, since it's only made in one factory?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The camera that's picture is a 35mm camera, because it has a rewind knob. Roll film cameras don't have rewind knobs, because you can't rewind roll film without risking damage to the film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Oh, that's good to know, thanks. I was getting that information from this French site, where it says "Format de film: 127" in the tables on the left and bottom. Then again, I see that it says "Celui-ci est un 35mm..." (this one here is a 35mm) in the camera description text. I guess they made both?

Any leads on the lens quality would help; although I know it's old and rare I'd like to know if it's worth picking up on the off chance I bump into it.

Shooter
    35mm

I have this one too

My father traded a carton of cigarettes for it when he was stationed in Germany, it takes awesome photographs. I rarely use it due to the cost of developing the film, I use my Nikon Digital SLR. Glad to see someone else has one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Beautiful cameras. They made a gold-plated model (Citalux 300) that is a real stunner:

http://www.ukcamera.com/classic_cameras/king1.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like a great camera. Neat looking.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got the next model down,Regula RM which has the same lens and shutter.Its a 35mm range finder,lite meter.A little awkward to use but takes good pictures,nice Stienhell lens,2.8, 45mm.Have not used it much but when I have its a fun camera to use for its novelty.Don,t know what they cost these days,rescued it at the city land fill.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    I had one of these, i've got several other Regula's as well, i wrote this page with the info i had and experience of handling them, http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Regula_III_series

My experience with it, it's a solid camera externally, the III series was probably the best built of the King cameras, which is nearly a compliment, but they normally are broken in some way. It has flaws, the film counter on the advance lever is prone to breaking, so is the uncoupled light meter metal cover, and the light meter itself. The focus ring is a bit too stiff and ergonomically a pain to use, so are the f-stop and shutter speed rings, light meter isn't very clear to read, the view/rangefinder window lacks frame lines and the internal semi-silvered mirrors it uses are normally deteriorating from age.

Mike, the RM isn't a step down, in fact it fixes several flaws from the Cita III, and eventually replaced it, my RM has a Zeiss Tessar lens in it. I'd rather hunt down a RM than use the Cita III, i'd rather use the original Cita over it.
    If you want the best rangefinder from King it has to be the Regula Super/Regula Super Automatic or failing those a Regula IIId.

Anyway, the quality of pictures is normally very good from the Steinheil Cassar 45mm f/2.8 (or f3.5) found on most King's in the 1950's, the lens is probably the best part of most of the King cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Morinaka,I agree on your assessment of the camera,the range finder did fade in mine so put a tinted piece of old color correcting filter material in the main view window to increase the contrast,the focusing is painful at times,the film advance is funny,and it has a great lens.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Most of the fixed lens Regulas were sold with f/2.8 triplet Steinheil Cassar or
    Cassar-S lenses but higher grade versions of some models were also available
    sporting Zeiss Tessar or Enna f/1.9 lenses. These cameras are hard to find and
    little has been written about them.

I have two Regula RMs, one with the 50/2.8 Tessar and one with the Enna
    Ennalyt 45/1.9. They are both very good picture takers and pretty cameras too.

Regula also made some interchangeable lens cameras which usually bring higher
    prices. These are the IIIc & IIId and the Super & Super Automatic models. I'm still
    looking for one of these at a good price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin