Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,591   Online: 830

Shooter
    35mm

Leica Screw Mount Lens Question

I saw a Leica with the 50 3.5 "1951" lens as the selling point. Please tell me why this lens is special.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the camera M or LTM?
    It's likely a LTM lens produced from 1930-1959. They made over 300,000 of them it's VERY common.
    The M mount lens was made from 1954-1961.
    There's no apparent collectors value in having a 1951 lens Except in the mind of the seller.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe that 1951 was the issue of the red lettered 3.5 Elmar. THE sharpest of the 3.5 Elmars which were the lenses that made the Leica famous.... The 3.5 was produced till 1959, the 2.8 was sharper, the pre WWll 3.5's were uncoated and have there own following. The f2 Summar is another early lens with IT'S own following pre WWll and also uncoated, very smmooooth at wide open, especially with color. Very inexpensive, prone to scratches, fog and cleaning marks. "Clean" ones are findable, also a collapsable lens like the Elmar.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My first Leica (in 1952) came with a new 3.5. The faster Nikkor and even a Minolta f/2.8 available then seemed to outperform it. I agree with Bill: the f/2.8 was sharper; one of the sharpest I ever tested.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin