Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,326   Posts: 1,536,956   Online: 1190

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, this explains why the prices went nuts just after I got my Canonet 28 a few weeks ago! I'm glad I got it when I did. It takes nice pictures and is smaller than my Yashica Electro 35 GSNs. Well, now to find another unknown "gem" before somebody blogs about it and ruins it for the rest of us!

Michael

Shooter
    35mm RF
    These cameras sold in the $120 range when new, over 35 years ago. The Cost of a CLA these days is easily $70. So finding one that needs work, such as new seals or gummed up shutter in the $20-$30 range is reasonable. I've picked them up in that range, CLA'd them, and resold them in the $75 range on RFF. They were always snapped up very quickly at that price.

A lot of Canonets have etched front glass. I've replaced a number of front elements in otherwise EX+ and better cameras. So again, you can buy them "as-is" on Ebay and might get lucky. Or just build up enough "bad ones" and make a good one.

Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got mine for $2 at a garage sale. Front element is a bit etched, the glass in the rangefinder is broken (still works fine!) and the seals aren't the best. But it takes great photos as it is, haven't had a problem with it yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was recently given a Canonet, but don't know which model it is. It has the little glass bubbles (exposure) around the lens as per the Olympus Pen. I'll need to get it serviced as it seems stuck on a small aperture, but I'm not sure if it is going to be cost-effective to repair?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a black-body Canonet a little while back for $15. The lens is kind of dirty inside and the meter is off, but it takes nice photos. Most of the Canonets (usually the QL17 or 19) that I run across are in bad to terrible condition; almost all have fungus in their lenses and/or scratches. And I read somewhere that they are put together tightly, making lens removal a pain or impossible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, I was a bad boy and just got another Canonet 28 for $15 inc. s/h. Gotta love buy it now....

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lens_hacker View Post
    These cameras sold in the $120 range when new, over 35 years ago. The Cost of a CLA these days is easily $70. So finding one that needs work, such as new seals or gummed up shutter in the $20-$30 range is reasonable. I've picked them up in that range, CLA'd them, and resold them in the $75 range on RFF. They were always snapped up very quickly at that price.
    Do you have any references for potential do-it-yourself CLAs on these (or other similar) cameras? I know how to replace light seals, but fixing shutters is another matter. I've got a Canonet that worked OK when I got it, but the shutter is now misbehaving on slow speeds. It might be worth expanding my photographic skill set a bit....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The GIII QL17 is nowhere near as well made as the first version and in my opinion is not worth what many are willing to pay.

I've got 2 that costs me total $25..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Do you have any references for potential do-it-yourself CLAs on these (or other similar) cameras? I know how to replace light seals, but fixing shutters is another matter. I've got a Canonet that worked OK when I got it, but the shutter is now misbehaving on slow speeds. It might be worth expanding my photographic skill set a bit....
    Google the camera. I recall seeing a description, with pictures. on how to get in to the shutter from inside the camera body.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    From what I've rad on other forums a lot of people buying these up are quite young (18-25). At least is seems like they're talking about them vastly more than anywhere else.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin