Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,642   Online: 966

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On Ebay someone recently purchased a Canonet QL19 for about $75.00 when you include shipping. These can be had at garage sales etc. for just a few dollars. Considering the limited abilities of this camera $75.00 is a heck of a lot of money. A QL17 can fetch even more, as much as $175.00 !!!! (check completed auctions on Ebay)

I think one should refrain from drinking alcohol when searching auction sites.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I really wanted a 19 just as a truck camera. I have never shot with a range finder before and figured the canonet would be a good place to start. I wanted the 19 for the slightly longer lens. Once I found out that I could buy five yashica eletro 35s for the price of one canonet I decided to go that way.

Now I'm looking at a all manual ricoh to toss in my walking bag.

People get stupid on ebay, I've bought things then turned around and sold them for twice what I paid just because I took prettier pictures of the item.

Moral of the story is, though it lacks the manual options I'll stick with the Yashica and carry a Ricoh 500 for when I want manual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I think one should refrain from drinking alcohol when searching auction sites.
    I'm starting to wonder if I need to be restricted from accessing eBay. I just can't help myself. I start looking for bargain basement prices and my willpower goes *poof*! Well, at least I think I'm done for a while. I now have plenty of film, plenty of cameras, developing tank, changing bag, and a bulk reloader. I just need a 12 step program....

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by McFortner View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if I need to be restricted from accessing eBay. I just can't help myself. I start looking for bargain basement prices and my willpower goes *poof*! Well, at least I think I'm done for a while. I now have plenty of film, plenty of cameras, developing tank, changing bag, and a bulk reloader. I just need a 12 step program....

Michael
    Get over it, Michael! It is called G.A.S.!

steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by McFortner View Post
    ..... I just need a 12 step program....

Michael
    The 12th step Michael is vaccuming up all the Leica gear your PayPal account will handle..

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For a while the Olympus 35 RC was the "it" camera. With auto or manual exposure, a decent lens and a pocketable size, everyone seemed to want one and the prices jumped.

Lately, it seems like it's the Canonet, and the same thing has happened.

The one model that frequently slips under the radar is the Konica C35. I bought one of these in 1977 and used it until I bought my Pentax MX. I traded the Konica for three or four albums.

The Konica has a sharp lens and a bright viewfinder, but like most of its ilk has no manual exposure, no exposure compensation and a limited ASA range. For what it is, however, it's a fine little camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [
    The Konica has a sharp lens and a bright viewfinder, but like most of its ilk has no manual exposure, no exposure compensation and a limited ASA range. For what it is, however, it's a fine little camera.[/QUOTE]
    Yes. Konica also came out with a little rectangular, squarish-ended kind of Olympus XA2-type. Very pocketable; just slide the door open and shoot. It was called the Konica MG. It also would cut a sharp image. I took one on vacation one year as a back-up camera and it was stolen.

Konica, in my experience, made and sold cameras with exceptionally good glass. At one time, an advertising line was "Konica: the lens alone is worth the price." Not very catchy; but very true.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Get over it, Michael! It is called G.A.S.!
    I just need one more hit, man. Just one more rangefinder. I can quit whenever I want to. I'm in control over this. Wait, is that a GSN?....

OK, I give, what does G.A.S. stand for?

Oh, there's a shiny Canonet 28. Anybody know how I can get a third mortgage on my kids?
    Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    [
    The Konica has a sharp lens and a bright viewfinder, but like most of its ilk has no manual exposure, no exposure compensation and a limited ASA range. For what it is, however, it's a fine little camera.
    Yes. Konica also came out with a little rectangular, squarish-ended kind of Olympus XA2-type. Very pocketable; just slide the door open and shoot. It was called the Konica MG. It also would cut a sharp image. I took one on vacation one year as a back-up camera and it was stolen.

Konica, in my experience, made and sold cameras with exceptionally good glass. At one time, an advertising line was "Konica: the lens alone is worth the price." Not very catchy; but very true.[/QUOTE]

The Konica Auto S2 was an awesome camera.

BTW if all it took to pack the wife off to Ecuador was a Canonet - then it's no wonder the price is bid so high! Gotta get me one o' them

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    I got a black-body Canonet a little while back for $15. The lens is kind of dirty inside and the meter is off, but it takes nice photos. Most of the Canonets (usually the QL17 or 19) that I run across are in bad to terrible condition; almost all have fungus in their lenses and/or scratches. And I read somewhere that they are put together tightly, making lens removal a pain or impossible.
    I use a pair of fine needle nosed pliers to reach in and get the front module off. A spanner is just too big to reach in. After that, flood-cleaning usually works.

There were a lot of Canonets made. Finding one with perfect glass, working shutter, tested slow speeds and self-timer, an accurate meter, good finder- is not all that easy. I have a boxload of parts Canonets.

As to the "limited Ability" of a Canonet, the same applies to trap-needle automatic, fixed-lens RF's with full-manual over-ride and fast lenses in general. Let's see- that 40mm F2 Summicron on the CL ran a bit more than the Canonet.
    Last edited by lens_hacker; 04-27-2009 at 07:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin