Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,885   Posts: 1,629,765   Online: 688

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Outrageous prices for canonet!!

I've been bidding on several canonet 17 QL III cameras on ebay but I've been letting them all go after they pass the $30 mark with shipping. I've seen several go for $60 or more! Am I being unreasonable to think that I should be able to find one in ok shape for around $30? They all seem to be selling high to me.

Images
    Good Morning, JRieke,

I think the one I bought several years ago was for about $15-20.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is one going for $172.50 right now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Canonet-QL...3%3A1|294%3A50

Granted that it is refurbished but that just seems stupid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree. This is one case where the Internet is not the way to find a deal on a camera. Keep your eyes peeled for a local deal.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, I just checked at KEH, and they've got two Canonets. One is described as EX with a price of $172 and the other is also EX, but "self timer inoperative" for $49.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a yashica GSN instead. Got if for $15 shipped and after looking at all the diagrams I'm pretty sure I can fix anything that may be wrong with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Canonet QIII 1.7 has achieved "iconic" status; now has a "cachet." In olden days in days of yore we would say it is an "in" camera. Thus are prices inflated.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    I fear the Olympus 35RC is also becoming an 'in' camera. Prices are much higher than when I bought mine 5 years ago. This will probably push the price even higher: http://kenrockwell.com/olympus/35rc

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Some people seem to think that this camera has magical photographic qualities. As I recall in the 1970s, all of these were seen as cameras for those on a budget. It was more than an Instamatic and less than an SLR.

Briefly, what happens is that they get talked up on Internet forums, and then people start chasing them.

These still are cameras with modest specifications. The lenses are good, but they're not that good. Most have simple trap-needle autoexposure, as well as having top and bottom decks of a dentable lightweight alloy.

I think a price range of $25-$40 is more than enough.

Three months from now, it will be an Olympus model and then maybe a Minolta model before or after that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [These still are cameras with modest specifications. The lenses are good, but they're not that good. Most have simple trap-needle autoexposure, as well as having top and bottom decks of a dentable lightweight alloy.
    Having first begun selling cameras retail in the middle 1960s, I have seen a few cameras come and go. IIRC, we sold the Taiwanese-built Canonet for 69 dollars--hardly a cheap price at a time when a brand-new VW beetle could be bought for$1,500; 25 sheet envelopes of Kodak paper for $2.50 and Micke Dees fries were a dime. Considering the quality of the glass (six element lens); the parallax correcting rangefinder/viewfinder; the distance- adjusted automatic flash exposure with 1) the dedicated flash 2) or by dialing in the guide number; and the full manual over ride, the Canon GIII was a whole lot of excellent picture quality and innovative design features.
    I acquired a GIII some years ago that I sent to Ecuador with my wife, who wanted excellent-quality pictures, but wanted to go with a camera that would not distress us too terribly were it lost, strayed, or stolen. This in lieu of her pristine, much loved Canon IVS2. Her chromes were outstanding.
    I sold off that camera with a whole lot of other equipment some years ago. I now have one and do not plan to part with another one.
    The "down" part of the camera--it's limited ASA range in auto bothers me not one whit. I rarely shoot anything over ISO 25. The real aggravation to me is that I have to use a step up ring because of that @#$* 48mm filter size.
    I never considered the similar Ollie 35RC or the little Minoltas as good a camera. FWIW.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin