Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,261   Online: 824

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Explain Leica/Leitz over-sharpness

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Some older Leica lenses do give a "classic" look, if some people like that, why rant about it? If some newer Leica lenses are appreciated by some for their sharpness, what's the problem?

As one of your beloved "Leicaphiles", I certainly don't say Leica lenses are always better than others. Some of my favourite lenses are Leica, some aren't. In many cases, I prefer the look of some Zeiss lenses.
    I even like & use Japanese lenses...
    Though I find in some cases (especially one brand I particularly dislike - a bit like you with Leica), they can be over-sharp and give a plasticky look (kind of like bad digital). The Leica "over-sharpness", when it exists, looks very different.
    I am not anti-Leica at all. I think their products are fantastic. If I did not, I would not have two MPs here in Afghanistan and a number more sitting at home along with various lenses! Its pretty well all I shoot right now(with the Mamiya 7).

My issue is not with people who like products for good reason, but those for whom the 'Leica myth' is an all exclusive paranoid condition which leads Leica products to be hailed for the same qualities that leave those from other manufacturers universally criticised. My farcical post earlier was to highlight this.

I am 100% for matching a lens signature to a print look you seek. I am 100% for using asph lenses if you dig max resolution and contrast wide open. But, where the myth comes in is where no manufacturer's lenses are any good despite possessing some or all of the qualities hailed in the Leica product. My gripe is never with the products themselves.... if it were, why would I own half a dozen bodies and a four lenses? Its certainly not with people who also love their products. Its only with those for whom Leica products are beyond criticism and universally better than anyone elses regardless of the yardstick being used. This is where the mythology comes from. It comes from the fact promulgated by some that by Leica products ar not matched in any regard by anything from anyone else. Once this myth is shattered and an objective approach used, a person may find that their needs are equally or better suited by a lens from someone else. They may also find that the Leica lens remains far an away the best option for them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Explain Leica/Leitz over-sharpness

Ian
    Bad choice of term on my part...

Perhaps an analytical signature (as opposed to a pictorial one) would have been a better choice.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    I am not anti-Leica at all. I think their products are fantastic. If I did not, I would not have two MPs here in Afghanistan
    Sounds like a fascinating experience, though an unlikely place to meet very many Leica supremacists...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin