Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,818   Online: 681

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Canon G-III QL17

Just purchased this jewel for 15.00, Canon G-III QL17

lens is clean and clear , shutter works in manual
    Has a bad dent in the lens filter ring right above the meter cell, seals are shot , I put a z625 battery in it and the meter doesn't work or the battery check.
    looks new other then the issues I described.
    can you bring this back to life ? and what would be the in the ball park cost ?

Replace the lens filter ring , fix the meter and replace the seals
    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Did you clean the contact in the battery chamber with a typewriter eraser?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Battery contact are clean John.
    I checked
    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What I need is a good Canon Repair guy .

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Seals can be replaced by your self, I use products from Interslice (Ebay) but there are cheaper solutions.
    There has been a thread about this some time ago, look at the 35mm forum, please.

In order to give a price for the repairs on the lightmeter: any (and all) repairman will have to see the camera before he/she can give an indication about repaircost.
    The filterring can be un-dented and may not be replaced.

Good luck, hope you can start making pic's with your camera soon !

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim McGraw View Post
    Battery contact are clean John.
    I checked
    Hi Tim, Do they just look clean or did you actually clean them with an eraser?

BTW, I see you are in the Queen City of the West. I spent a fair amount of $ at Western Hills Camera back in the 1970s when I was a grad student who didn't have the money to spend. I doubt that emporium is still open.

Oh, and a super-discount, grey shelving outfit called Swallens had a photo department hard to beat. Great selection and great prices. They sold a brand of Japanese-made graded papers with great names--all girls's names, if I recall, as well as Agfa, Ilford, EK.

I truly think Cinci is one of the more photogenic towns in the country and I still have many negs shot therein.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi John, I've spent a lot of time and money in that store also, it's gone now.
    I cleaned the contacts.
    hope you enjoy this , it might take you back in time a little.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tims_view/3483732513/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    BTW, I see you are in the Queen City of the West. I spent a fair amount of $ at Western Hills Camera back in the 1970s when I was a grad student who didn't have the money to spend. I doubt that emporium is still open.

Oh, and a super-discount, grey shelving outfit called Swallens had a photo department hard to beat. Great selection and great prices. They sold a brand of Japanese-made graded papers with great names--all girls's names, if I recall, as well as Agfa, Ilford, EK.

I truly think Cinci is one of the more photogenic towns in the country and I still have many negs shot therein.
    I grew up in Cincinnati, myself. I (vaguely) recall Swallens, but I didn't buy much photo stuff there -- I only got seriously into photography lately, long after leaving Cincinnati. I did visit my sister there a couple of years ago and got a few decent shots around town, like the one I'm attaching. (The print I've got hanging on my wall is much better -- I'm posting a direct negative scan.)

As far as the OP is concerned, I agree with others that the light seals are a fairly easy fix. I've also used the Interslice kits on two or three cameras (including a Canonet) with great success. I'm sure you can find the raw materials for less, but the Interslice kits aren't pricey, and my time value in tracking down something cheaper is far greater than the difference, unless I were doing hundreds of cameras.

Edit: Oh, my photo was not taken with a Canonet; it was shot with a Ricoh SLR with a Mir-47K 20mm lens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steampipe-Garden.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The circus board in the Glll is a semi-circular board that surrounds the lens.
    As I recall it's all discrete components.
    With a dent over the cell, It may have a cracked board, or broken solder connection.
    To get into the board you need to straighten the filter ring & remove the retaining ring around the decorator ring on the lens.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin