Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,817   Online: 833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leica still makes film cameras: a video

Kind of cool, looks like Japan is the biggest market:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-..._medium=E-Mail

Shooter
    35mm RF
    From the video we see that the camera arrives from Portugal almost complete and the only work done from that point is to test, apply controls and covering. What we don't see is the M being built/assembled in Portugal! We don't know if the parts are made in Germany and sent to Portugal or sourced worldwide? So is an M really "Made in Germany" as on the camera or made in Portugal as on a pair of Leica binocs I own?-Dick

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But would it neccesssarily matter for the quality in which country something is manufactured?

Shooter
    35mm
    From my visit of a Nikon plant in Thailand, it's clear that Thai workers were skilled and trained enough to work at Nikon standards.
    Also I had a chance to visit in Indonesia a factory where Eastpack products were made. According the the american production manager, there was absolutely no difference in quality product after that US company moved to Asia.
    It appears that loss in quality would originate in the materials used not in the labour force involved, in such cases.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quality isn't everything. What you expect and feel about a product can be just as important.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've worked at a few factories here in Japan. Just because something was made here doesn't mean it's high quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But would it neccesssarily matter for the quality in which country something is manufactured?
    Well, I can't speak for cameras, but I once owned a Fiat 500 "Bambina" (micro) car, 100% made in Italy, which was just great for city commuting (park on a dime, 70 miles to the gallon of petrol, air-cooled motor). Had it for 40,000 kms (4 years). Much later, I needed a similar vehicle for the same reasons, so I looked around and found that they were still in production (under licence) now made in Poland and renamed as the "Niki", with a 750cc engine. Same great design and recognizable features with a slightly updated body shape.

However: performance-wise like chalk and cheese. Whereas the Bambina gave me four years of trouble-free motoring, the Niki gave nothing but trouble: oil leaks, brake-cylinders, trafficators, fuel gauge, sticking distributor points, all relatively minor but continual: many incapacitating, time-consuming and all irritating. I was so glad when I switched to Hyundai: hardly a problem since! (I'm into my sixth Hyundai).

Who makes it did seem to matter in this case.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great clip, thanks!

I was impressed with Leica's very low volume of production and not concerned with the country of origin of its components. I expect that Leica is content with a very small percentage of a shrinking film camera market, but also enjoys prominence in their niche market, conspicuous consumption.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    100-150 M7 per month.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    From the video we see that the camera arrives from Portugal almost complete and the only work done from that point is to test, apply controls and covering. What we don't see is the M being built/assembled in Portugal! We don't know if the parts are made in Germany and sent to Portugal or sourced worldwide? So is an M really "Made in Germany" as on the camera or made in Portugal as on a pair of Leica binocs I own?-Dick
    I never Posted anything about quality or questioned the quality of the M7/MP but only whether the "Made in Germany" on the camera is correct.
    I happen to own 2 M7's with Motor M's and ASPH lenses, so quality is not my concern.-Dick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin