Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,240   Online: 741

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax Spotmatic, or for extremely suicidal situations, I have a tested FED 5 waiting to go into action....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a Contax G2 that did 20 months in Afghanistan with the Special Forces. We thought the sand might chew up the the auto focus lenses but they did fine.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For this kind of shooting I usually take my Minolta Model 35 w/ 45mm, f/2.8 lens. I've also got a Minolta Super A and a couple of Minolta 7sII's.

I wouldn't want to ruin any of them, but it would be much easier to replace them and their lenses then it would one of my Leicas.

On the other hand, the Leicas are all insured for replacement value, so I'll as often as not take them out - that way I get the shot I want with the glass I know will get the shot.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    I actually have a "sandbox outfit" which consists of an Olympus OM-10 body, a Samyang 18-28 zoom lens (bought used), a Tamron 28-200 zoom, and a Tamrac photo backback. I carry this kit on my motorcycle so that none of my "good" cameras would be subjected to significant damage if I were to experience a "get off". The setup has in fact been thoroughly tested in an unintended "get off" - it survived relatively intact and I still use it today.

jZ

Shooter
    35mm
    About 300 of the darned things!!!

I do usually carry a Yashica FX-7, missing a third of its leatherette and fitted with the 50mm f1.7. If I put it down somewhere, the only reason anyone would pick it up would be to toss it in the nearest bin. It's really SHABBY, although the performance isn't. The lens is great, the meter still accurate, and of course its mechanical.

Rangefinder-wise, I have an Olympus 35 DC I like to carry about. It isn't shirt-pocketable but quite small. It is an auto version of the 35 RD with a back light compensation button. It has a rather good 6-element, 40mm f1.7 lens. Thinking about it, perhaps I shouldn't use it as a "sandbox" camera. I don't think they are all that easy to find and probably a lot pricier than when I bought mine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For pocketability, an Olympus 35 RC with a busted meter. When an SLR is needed, a Nikon EM.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mine is a Yashica U AF point-and-shoot I got at a garage sale for $1. It has a nice wide-angle lens and intelligent flash capability.

Shooter
    35mm
    Unlike jZ (filmlives!) I don't have a designated 'sandbox' outfit (perhaps I need to do more exciting stuff...) but I think my Konica TC qualifies. It is not shabby by any stretch but I'm not too concerned it will pack up on me. And if it does, well, Konicas are well priced and so are its lenses. Last time I used it was on cranky day on the Scottish coast outside Gullane. Strong winds, rain, ocean spray, and lots of sand dunes. Also carry an Olympus 35RC with me, but I actually paid much more for that one...

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a Nikon N50 I keep in the car, a Nikonos IV I would comfortably take anywhere, and any of several Argus bricks I let young children handle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canonet GIII I picked up for $2 at a garage sale. It's a bit ratty, but works like a charm. I've taken it hiking, kayaking and Skiiing with no problems.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin