Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,168   Online: 980

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    The cameras that I purposefully take if I seriously fear damage, theft, or loss are my AE-1 Programs, my Electro 35, or my Powershot if a point and shoot will do the job. I also view my 10D as one of these, however, I don't use it as such because my only lens for it now is the 50mm f/1.2.
    Great time to sell that lens 2F. The kids think it's the bees knees and with the price it runs you could probably get something more useful.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Great time to sell that lens 2F. The kids think it's the bees knees and with the price it runs you could probably get something more useful.
    It is one of the best lenses I have ever used, and it would be one of the last pieces of photo equipment I would ever sell. As I said, of the entire EF line, it is the one lens that I decided on, knowing that it would be my only EOS lens for quite some time. There is not a single lens by Canon, Nikon, etc. that would be "more useful" to me. I needed something like my 55mm 1.2 , but that fits a digital camera.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    It is one of the best lenses I have ever used, and it would be one of the last pieces of photo equipment I would ever sell. As I said, of the entire EF line, it is the one lens that I decided on, knowing that it would be my only EOS lens for quite some time. There is not a single lens by Canon, Nikon, etc. that would be "more useful" to me. I needed something like my 55mm 1.2 , but that fits a digital camera.
    2F, I rented it for a while and was left unimpressed, honestly. I find my traditional manual-focus Nikkors and Pentax 50mm lenses did just fine without the clinical nature that Canon lenses typically exhibit. It's not a bad lens, I'm not saying that - but I would easily spend 1200$ on film before even considering buying it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    2F, I rented it for a while and was left unimpressed, honestly. I find my traditional manual-focus Nikkors and Pentax 50mm lenses did just fine without the clinical nature that Canon lenses typically exhibit. It's not a bad lens, I'm not saying that - but I would easily spend 1200$ on film before even considering buying it.
    Well, I borrowed it for a year, hounding my friend to sell it to me the whole time because it is such a great and indispensable tool. Finally, she gave in: some cash, and the printing of a large series of 16x20 RA prints for her in limited editions of three. It was some of the best money I have ever spent, and I would indeed pay full price and more for the lens. The only lens that gets more use is my FD 55mm 1.2. I prefer the 55mm, but when I need to use digital/autofocus, this thing does just as well. IMO, the plastic retaining ring is the worst part of the lens. I wish it were metal like most L lenses. Yes, I have also used the 50mm 1.4 and 1.8. The 1.4 is the best bang for the buck, but I need that extra speed for nearly everything I shoot on digital/AF. I have Nikon, Pentax, and Canon lenses for 35mm, and the pix all look the same to me. There are no clinical lenses; only clinical photographs by clinical photographers.

This post is not about the 50mm 1.2. My comment was simply that it was interesting that in one case, a camera itself is a "sandbox" camera, but not the lens.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-26-2009 at 05:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin