Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,694   Online: 887

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"Sandbox" Cameras

I got to listen to an artist talk by Todd Deustch at the Walker Art Center here in Minneapolis this week.

One of his recurring themes was the problems (and opportunities) posed by having gone digital.

Over and over he kept saying how much he missed Tri-X and his "sandbox cameras." These were, from his description, 70's-era compact rangefinders like the Canonet, GSN, 35RC, &c that gave him good performance but he wouldn't feel too badly about if he "dropped them into a toilet or the sandbox."

It occurred to me that I have a couple of sandbox cameras and everyone else probably does, too.

Mine are an Olympus Epic Stylus, a Canonet GIII and a Praktica MTL. These are the three cameras that pretty much ride shotgun with me everywhere in my bookbag (or as my wife calls it, the man purse). If they get banged around, or dropped in a toilet it won't be the end of the world for me.

What are your sandbox cameras?
    Last edited by zenrhino; 05-07-2009 at 08:23 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added links

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Zeiss Ikon Contina III
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an Yashica GSN and a Konica Auto S.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I call mine "beaters".I maintain 5.Three Nikkormat's and 2 Pentax.
    When they eventually die I shall place them in a revered spot.

Shooter
    35mm
    mine would be the Minolta Hi-matic 7s.. lol
    Flickr
    Multiply
    My PhotoBlog
    My Twitter!

WTB: Konica Autoreflex T3 and AR lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zorki-4

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't understand why that photographer is whining. It's not like there aren't thousands of cameras out there on the used market that he could buy. I mean, what's stopping him from buying a camera and some film?

Any plastic P&S falls into this category for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

OT, but hopefully not offensively so

Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I don't understand why that photographer is whining. It's not like there aren't thousands of cameras out there on the used market that he could buy. I mean, what's stopping him from buying a camera and some film?

Any plastic P&S falls into this category for me.
    It's a better/faster/cheaper thing. Same kinds of process tradeoffs that businesses make everyday.

His gig is being a dad shooting in the chaos of a family with 4 young boys, getting in the shots where he can, processing/printing when he can. This way he doesn't have to worry about toxic darkroom chem, saves the time setting up chem and souping, etc., processing at his desk.

The downside is the switch from a nice quiet sandbox rangefinder to a big, clunky very visible DSLR, image quality and the PITA factor of going to color from b/w.

He's actually using digital for what it's best at -- not quality but convenience. And he was very quick to say that when he tried to work with the same kinds of cameras (small quiet p/s) in digital that his image quality suffered bigtime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 2 Canonet 28s, 2 Yashica GSNs, and 2 Vivitar EF35. I've been happy with all of these and I didn't spend a lot of money on them. I even have a non-working GSN and a non-working GS that if I can't fix will be parts cameras. I'm not sure what's wrong with these two. And I'm trying to get some Kodak Pony 135s up and running next. Mostly oil in the shutters. I'm not very mechanically inclined so these may eventually go out to get repaired. So I have a few cameras that I don't mind kicking around and having fun with that also give good pictures.

Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What are your sandbox cameras?[/QUOTE]

Leica M-8?
    Oh, you said non-digi.

Rollei Prego, fixed-focal length 3.5 Rolleinar lens.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin