Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,319   Online: 869

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leicas and rain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    Leicas in the rain?
    ... suddenly a million Leicaphiles screamed in terror and a few had heart attacks.
    But not enough to make a significant pricedrop?
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My cameras might be waterproof, might not. But I know I'm not!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a vacuum chamber, I have one friend who has about 7-8 Leica rangefinder cameras.

He shoots in all kinds of weather, usually when it's raining he's shooting, because he gets more interesting pictures with cityscapes combined with rain.

There is a downside, the cameras and lenses do absorb water, sometimes to the point where he cannot wind or re-wind the film as it has swollen too much.

He then brings the camera around to my place where we stick it into the vacuum chamber, turn up the suck, then watch the water turn into steam. Once we could see water vapour emanating from the viewfinder, interesting.

Within ten minutes the camera is virtually dry, we go into the darkroom where he somehow gets the film out, then we get to look and see how the camera is.

Well I tell you, the damned things just start working again, although he has replaced a shutter on one camera after several real dunkings.

Mick.
    Last edited by Mick Fagan; 05-15-2009 at 08:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Missed word

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thats pretty cool about the vacuum chamber.

Yeah, I think the issue with Leica's (and other mostly mechanical cameras) is not that they will give up the ghost in those environments, but the long term effects to said mechanical system. And they're expensive. haha

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Leicas come with their own specialized vacuum chamber. It's sucking action is very precisely directed at the money in your wallet and bank account.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    Leicas come with their own specialized vacuum chamber. It's sucking action is very precisely directed at the money in your wallet and bank account.
    LOL

I would like to get a Leica IIIc EX from keh.

Advantages: It's a leica

Disadvantages:
    It has less ways i can use it than my XA!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's a trick a newspaper photographer told me about: Take a translucent plastic grocery bag, cut a hole a little smaller than the lens diameter, then screw on a UV filter or the like to hold the bag to the camera and cut another hole on the opposite side for the viewfinder. A little fiddly, but it works.

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe from a pretty reliable source, don't get Leicas wet. They don't like it and anyway why would you want to risk a £300.00 min service
    "Sharpness is a Bourgeois Concept"-H.Cartier-Bresson

Regards Kenneth

phc
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    It depends on the model. The electronics in the later models don't like the rain at all, and don't get better when they've dried out. The mechanical parts are normally fine, just dry out the camera afterwards.

In my experience snow is worse than rain, the flakes stick to the camera and then melt, getting in everywhere. My M6TTL was unhappy after this little walkabout:

Heldenplatz, Vienna, Austria. January 2004.

but the mechanical parts were okay. I have a plastic pouch that I use over the camera these days. Makes taking pictures very clumsy, but you can get used to it.

Cheers, Paul.
    paulhardycarter.com <<< Pictures and blog.
    twitter <<< My twitter feed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I haven't had any problems using my Leicas in the rain, but then I've always been careful not to let them get too wet. As someone mentioned above, the best 35mm camera for wet conditions is a Nikonos and you can get them for very little in excellent used condition. I bought a Nikonos V with 35mm f2.5 lens for £25, including a new set of 'O' rings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin