Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,547   Posts: 1,573,019   Online: 873

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Zorki?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Unless you really want to fix get out the hammers and pipe wrenches to try fixing the camera yourself here is a suggestion. It is, at best, only a temporary fix unless you do not really care terribly what happens to this camera.
    Place the camera (without lens) under a desk lamp with an incandescent bulb for a several hours. When it is warm, try working the shutter to see if you can get the lube spread out a bit. This is not a permanenet fix and the camera should be used sparingly until you wish to bite the bullet and pay $$ for a proper cla.
    I did that before, seemed to work for a bit. My problem now is the whole shutter is broken, it won't even open.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I did that before, seemed to work for a bit. My problem now is the whole shutter is broken, it won't even open.
    '

Drat!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Indeed! Oh well. I'm on the verge of buying a Zorki 1/industar 22 kit from Fedka!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good CLA is your ticket. Then you know what you have. Don't fret at a seized shutter; my Fed 3a had a seized shutter and I actually fixed it myself. (It had an insect stuck in it. Seriously.)

I have a few Feds and Zorkis but my favourites are the Fed 3a, Fed 2c and my Zorki 4. I have a Zorki 4K, Fed 3b and Fed 5c also and they are certainly usable, but I don't like them as much. These cameras just feel more natural with knob wind for some reason.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jim, seems like the shutter is broken just like if you were to change the speeds before winding. the pins are not lining up, and a CLA for $70 doesn't seem worth it when I can get a zorki 1 and lens for a bit more.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, but you won't know what you have in the Zorki 1. It could easily need a CLA, too.

Not to mention, do you know how hard the old Zorkis and Feds are to load? They are bottom loaders.

A CLAed camera will be reliable for a good while. A purchase of another camera is always a gamble.

Two of those favourite Soviet cameras I listed above got a CLA by Oleg. I don't think it's a coincidence.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another thought: get a Zorki 4 with the Jupiter 8 lens. If it turns out that even after a CLA it's behaving weirdly, pick up an old Leica body (such as a IIIc, or an M3 via a Voigtländer LTML adapter) for that and put the lens on that. Then you have kooky pre-war German ergonomics combined with kooky Soviet lens performance in one Dr Strangelove-worthy package.

If you don't trust old cameras, then look into getting a more recent Leica, Voigtländer or Hexar, via an adapter if need be.

Those are the plans for my Jupiter 8 mounted on a flaky Zorki 4.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another thought: get a Zorki 4 with the Jupiter 8 lens. If it turns out that even after a CLA it's behaving weirdly, pick up an old Leica body (such as a IIIc, or an M3 via a Voigtländer LTML adapter) for that and put the lens on that. Then you have kooky pre-war German ergonomics combined with kooky Soviet lens performance in one Dr Strangelove-worthy package.

If you don't trust old cameras, then look into getting a more recent Leica, Voigtländer or Hexar, via an adapter if need be.

Those are the plans for my Jupiter 8 mounted on a flaky Zorki 4.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Yes, but you won't know what you have in the Zorki 1. It could easily need a CLA, too.

Not to mention, do you know how hard the old Zorkis and Feds are to load? They are bottom loaders.

A CLAed camera will be reliable for a good while. A purchase of another camera is always a gamble.

Two of those favourite Soviet cameras I listed above got a CLA by Oleg. I don't think it's a coincidence.
    My Zorki doesn't just need a CLA, it needs a whole camera repair. The zorki 1 will come from Fedka so I trust it is working well.

And they're not that hard to load, its like loading a Leica, which is easy after the first few tries.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I've got a bottom-loading Zenit C. My problem with this design isn't that it's so hard to load (IMHO, it isn't); it's that the film leader must be cut extra-long. This means I must load the camera at home, where scissors are handy; pre-cut the film at home before going out; or take scissors or a knife with me. Admittedly these are minor hassles in the grand scheme of things, but they are complications I can do without. If I forget to pre-cut the film or take scissors, I might finish a roll and be unable to load another one for lack of scissors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin