Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,640   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Zorki?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Another Zorki?

So I picked up my [broken] Zorki 4 and was playing around with it, and I remembered how much I liked the feel of it. I loved the J-8 lens on it.
    I didn't get as high of a volume of great photos with it, but when I shot a great one with it, the J8 lens made it even better than photos from my Nikon.

I'm not sure wether to get another one. The problems I had with it, when it was working, was speeds under 1-60th capped half the time, and the lens and body stopped working under 0c, which there is a lot of in canada

Whats your opinion on this?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    was speeds under 1-60th capped half the time, and the lens and body stopped working under 0c, which there is a lot of in canada
    I can't get a good translation of this from Canadian into English on Google. Can anyone help?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When a photo was shit with shutter speeds under 1/60th of a sec made the shutter stay open after the exposure, overexposing the film, and the lubricants went solid under freezing temp.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I can't get a good translation of this from Canadian into English on Google. Can anyone help?
    Shutters have to stay closed when being wound back to the firing position. sometimes this self-capping function is eratic and the film is fogged as a result. The other problem only happens below the freezing point of water.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    It doesn't work right in the cold (which is odd, because being from Russia 'n'all it should know about that sort of thing) and it's screwed at high speed.

There's a Sarah Palin gag in there somewhere but I can't quite put my finger on it...
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's screwed at low speeds lol
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When a photo was shit
    Most of mine are, no matter what camera I use! :-)

with shutter speeds under 1/60th of a sec made the shutter stay open after the exposure, overexposing the film, and the lubricants went solid under freezing temp.
    It sounds like this is a problem with the slow-speed escapement, which would explain why I haven't had it with my Mir (basically a Zorki-4 without slow speeds). I suppose one solution would be to look for one of the fSU rangefinders without slow speeds, which would get you back behind a Soviet camera without inviting the same set of problems.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The slow speeds seem to just not work as a result of age and non-use, if I were to get another Zorki 4 from Fedka I'm sure it will be fine.

It seems the whole shutter unit in mine is busted.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Russian cameras are world-renowned for their poor quality control out of the factory, which translates into wildly variable performance in the real world. The problems you mention both sound like sample-to-sample issues, and/or age-related issues. Certainly I've run across lots of descriptions of Zenits, Zorkis, FEDs, Kievs, and so on that work well in frigid conditions when modern digital cameras or even battery-powered film cameras become useless. Thus, my suspicion is that you've got a bum camera. This isn't uncommon for Russian/FSU gear.

You've got a few options:

• Buy another and hope for the best. If you happen to get a good one on the next go, this is the cheapest way to go, but it's also the riskiest -- you could end up with a camera with other problems (or the same problems as the first).
    • Get a good CLA done on yours. Oleg Khalyavin is often recommended for this sort of work; however, I've never used his services, so I can't comment on this from personal experience (I'm just passing on a reference I've seen many times before). Zorkis are pretty similar to Leicas in basic design, so a local camera repairer who's familiar with Leicas may be able to do a good job, assuming no exotic spare parts are required. It's conceivable that all you've got is a case of lubricants that have stiffened up, so new lube might be all you need. You can even find Web sites that describe how to do this sort of thing, so you could try doing it yourself if you're willing to risk making the camera worse.
    • Get a Leica. An older one will be similar to a similar-vintage (or slightly newer) FED or Zorki, but over the years Leicas and their Soviet clones deviated more, so newer Leicas will be different. An older Leica is likely to have problems just because of its age, and so may need a CLA, just like an older FED or Zorki.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The slow speeds seem to just not work as a result of age and non-use, if I were to get another Zorki 4 from Fedka I'm sure it will be fine.

It seems the whole shutter unit in mine is busted.
    Unless you really want to fix get out the hammers and pipe wrenches to try fixing the camera yourself here is a suggestion. It is, at best, only a temporary fix unless you do not really care terribly what happens to this camera.
    Place the camera (without lens) under a desk lamp with an incandescent bulb for a several hours. When it is warm, try working the shutter to see if you can get the lube spread out a bit. This is not a permanenet fix and the camera should be used sparingly until you wish to bite the bullet and pay $$ for a proper cla.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin