Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,213   Online: 874

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I recall reading in Popular Photography that they thought the Heliar was one of the sharpest 50mm lenses that they had encountered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I recall reading in Popular Photography that they thought the Heliar was one of the sharpest 50mm lenses that they had encountered.
    I remember reading that somewhere too.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't actually know what the design of the new Heliars is, but the Elmar is more or less Tessarlike, isn't it? This may be an apples-and-oranges comparison for that reason as well---if the new Heliars are similar to the old ones, it would be more reasonable to compare the Elmar to a Skopar. I don't know what (if anything) would be a reasonable Leitz equivalent to the Heliar.

But nitpicking aside, the original post is interesting just as a look at the Heliar. To my eye it comes off looking quite good; if the CV 75mm Heliar is comparable, I may have a case of GAS coming on.

Just as an aside, the Heliar on my Bergheil (circa World War I vintage) must be about the sharpest lens on earth. If I had world enough and time, I'd do a careful comparison to the Planar on my Rolleiflex, and my money would be on the Heliar.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the CV Heliar classic 50mm f2.0, the CV Nokton classic 40mm f1.4 and the CV Apo-Lanthar 90mm. All three are tack sharp. Have a look through my gallery for examples. (Thames Barge for the 40mm, Swimmer for the 90mm and Goodbye HIE #4 for the Heliar).
    Last edited by Andy K; 05-15-2009 at 12:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am also using the Voigtlander 50mm f3.5 heliar, though I have the Nikon version. I wrote about my first impressions of the Bessa R2S and lens on this site. I am impressed so far with the lens as well. I am just learning about some of the more subjective qualities of the lens, so far I haven't found any shortcomings with it for my style of photography. Thanks for the post and the nice photo as well.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Man.. when are people going to stop beating that *sharpness* drum?

It's the end-all for some photographers. Sharpness, low grain, sharp sharp sharp!
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I as looking for that mythical Leica glow when I purchased my F7 and 50 Summicron last month. Instead, the lens I have is so unbelievably sharp, even wide open, that I am wondering what the Leica glow really is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I want a Voigtlander.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Man.. when are people going to stop beating that *sharpness* drum?

It's the end-all for some photographers. Sharpness, low grain, sharp sharp sharp!
    It's a tool, is all. Lots of images work well sharp, and it's a hard thing for a lens to do well, but it's certainly not the only tool in the box. I can only speak for myself, but I've got plenty of not-notably-sharp lenses that produce a lot of pictures I like for other reasons.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gads, talk about comparing apples and oranges (scenes; not lenses). I don't have a image of it, but I made a cropped filter out of a 39mm UV filter for my Elmar 50mm f3.5, and now you can talk comparisons.
    Last edited by Carter john; 05-15-2009 at 07:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin