Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,124   Posts: 1,636,927   Online: 978

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Now That Is Sharp

One for the gearheads:
    I compared a Cosina Voigtländer Heliar f/3.5 50 mm to a Leitz Elmar f/3.5 5cm on my Leica IIIf. Some of you might be interested how that came out.
    A hint: I didn't much care for the "Leica Glow".

Best regards, Christoph

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It appears that young man is in his own contre jour situation
    not saying against the cvh but I think the elmar flare is quite sweet
    I like the way it has bled into the shadows giving some atmospheric heavenliness ..good for objects but as we see perhaps horrible for strongly backlit portraits
    No comparison shot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But he does call a Leica IIIf 'man jewelry', so not all is lost.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where's the comparison here? The scenes are miles apart different.

Regardless, Leitz makes some excellent lenses - and the "glow" is definitely a feature.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, cleaning marks are lenscapabilitys worst enemy so on those conditons any lens could do that
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am sorry to say that this is a most foul non-comparison of two lenses that nobody wants to compare anyhow. Interesting as examples to point out the [already well-know and well-documented] difference between "fresh" glass and "classic" glass, but I highly doubt anyone considering an Elmar will be considering a newer CV lens as an alternative, and will seriously be having a battle in their heads over which is the best performer from a technical standpoint. If you want anyone to really learn anything from the comparison, you need to go much further in depth and cut back on the editorializing. My two cents.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-15-2009 at 05:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't quite see the point of your comparison and conclusion. Totally different subjects, and one lens damaged by cleaning marks?
    Any quality modern lens, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc., (and a lot of older ones) would, with care and good technique, produce similar sharpness to the Heliar. That's OK when we need sharpness, but at other times the "imperfections" of an older generation lens may produce a more pictorial effect when we need that.
    (Some members here even choose to use simple lenses (and even pinholes) to produce successful and effective pictures. )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reading some of the responses in this thread I thought I had mistakenly walked into Photo.net. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by Andy K; 05-15-2009 at 05:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hamlet, Act I, Scene V:
    Ghost: "Murder most foul, as in the best it is,
    But this most foul, strange, and unnatural."

Yea verily, someone did that to the poor Elmar.

But I had to get over it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1950's vintage 50/3.5 Elmars are given to veiling - something about the glass formulation absorbing moisture. The problem can not be fixed. Look at the lens with a very bright light shining through it and see if there is haze.

As to sharpness, I think in a low flare comparison shoot the Elmar and the CV will be comparable.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin