Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,655   Online: 841

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am asking this question from my ignorance of rangefinders...what is the advantage of a rangefinder over one of the small lightweight SLR bodies with a 28mm or 50mm prime?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I am asking this question from my ignorance of rangefinders...what is the advantage of a rangefinder over one of the small lightweight SLR bodies with a 28mm or 50mm prime?
    They're generally even smaller, quieter, you see and focus better in lower light levels and the lenses are nicer I think. I like the feeling of using a rangefinder, its more enjoyable. It also has wicked lenses like the CV 12mm f5.6! For me, RFs are for almost everything. I just use my Nikon on paid shoots, sports, and parties, all places where I need the flexibility of using flashes, AF, and other stuff.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    ...what is the advantage of a rangefinder over one of the small lightweight SLR bodies with a 28mm or 50mm prime?
    1. Some RFs are quieter than SLRs.

2. With an SLR, you can't easily take a photograph of the back of your lenscap.

3. If you have trouble focusing or composing thru filters, the RF allows you to avoid looking thru the filter.

4. A 28mm RF lens will be smaller than the equivalent SLR lens.

5. With an SLR, you generally don't look through an accessory composing viewfinder to use your 28mm lens. If you want to use a 28mm on an RF without the accessory finder, there aren't many choices of bodies for you---the cheapest would be a Bessa R4.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Softie View Post

4. A 28mm RF lens will be smaller than the equivalent SLR lens.
    Why is this? Is it because of the larger SLR lens mount or something?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In my experience, RFs are "quicker on the draw" only if they are used so often everything works intuitively. I love my Leica M6; but an Ollie OM with a 28 or 35 would be a great choice in an slr.
    If does not mind the vagaries of soviet-built cameras, some of the Feds and Zorkis can be very good picture takers. I have a FED 2 with a tessar-formula, lanthium-glass lens which cuts a very sharp image and it cost me 30 bucks, incl. shipping from the Ukraine. The diopter-correction on the RF is jammed, but it still focuses and frames correctly and I am sure it could be fixed, but with my bifocals perched atop my pate, everything is kinda blurry anyway. And besides, my FEd has red leatherette covering, dontcha know. I also have.... o.k......., here it comes , a Canonet GIII. Which is compact, quiet, has a parallax correcting viewfinder frame, a sharp-cutting six element lens, built in meter, auto/manual aperture selection, auto flash exposure by dialing in the GN; dedicated auto-flash with the Canolite D. And, oh , yes, cost me 20 bucks off Craig's list.
    The M6 is always my RF of choice, but..........
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Konica Auto S-2. IMHO, even better than the Canonet QL-17 GIII. You can generally find these Konicas for under $50, and they are wonderful - the lens is Leica Summicron quality.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Why is this? Is it because of the larger SLR lens mount or something?
    Nah. A 28mm SLR lens has to throw the nodal point of the optic behind the lens, resulting in more complexity and a larger front element.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Then why is a RF 50 so much smaller than a SLR 50mm?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Speaking only from my own epxeriences, the first rangefinder I ever owned was an old Yashica Electro. My girlfriend bought it for my birthday at a flea market knowing that I like beat up used cameras.

It's actually a rather remarkable little camera. It's a fixed lens, but the automatic aperture priority exposure is pretty much spot on and the lens is better than I expected.

Recently I did "upgrade" to a Bessa R3A which is obviously a lot more expensive than the Yashica. It's a great camera though. Nice clean design, great optics, and plenty of accesories available either new or used. Being an M mount camera with the ability to take Leica screwmount lenses certainly doesn't hurt either :-P

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    If you'd like to try Leica because it is said to be lighter than a SLR, well, I can tell you that a M6 plus 35mm or 50mm lens is no lighter than a Nikon FE2 with similar lenses... or the difference is really hard to feel.
    This said, Leicas never come cheap. But, I suppose this is subjective. You can use a leica for 30+ years then pass it on to your children...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin